Re: Comments on Sonic #36 (spoilers)

From: Ron Bauerle <BAUERLE_at_engr.erie.ge.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 22:25:27 -0400 (EDT)

>From: KenP7672_at_aol.com

>>The bottom of page 8 was a bit confusing; are we to infer that Robotnik
>>kept that "photon cannon" going from the time of King Acorn's imprisonment
>>until just now?

>The confusion for this stems from the drawing. Robotnik should have been
>wearing his normal uniform, not his warlord uniform, indicating the breach
>was a recent event.

Ah; it didn't help that his arm was shown as normal in the bottom four
panels too, and even his hand was flesh-colored in the bottom left panel...
Even if it _had_ been drawn properly, a blurb in the narrative along the
lines of "and everything was quiet until the other day when..." would have
helped, but I guess that's just 20-20 hindsight...

>>I'll leave comment on the ID of the masked rider to others, and/or until
>>after another issue or two :^) Though it _does_ conflict with the show...

>Sorry about that, but how do you know the show got it right, hmmm?

I'll let Dan Drazen invoke his canonization argument here :^)

>Actually, we never received scripts to every episode and sad to say, the
>second season of SONIC was never shown on TV in my neck of the woods.
>Incidentally, my son took me to task about the inconsistencies.

How, if he didn't see them either?

>However, by that time, SEGA had already approved the story.

Well, I could make you a copy of the second season if you want it for
future reference... :^)

>>Not sure why Dimitri had to hook up _sails_ to the island - didn't he have
>>enough power to propel it himself?

>Sure he did, but he was being a bad guy at this time, see? And you can't
>establish enslavement if HE does the work, can you?

Oh, okay :^)

>>How could fire ants chew through the wall in so short a time? (hours?)
>>This seemed a bit deus ex machina to me... Also that with all that power,
>>Dimitri could apparently be crushed to death by the collapse of the tower
>>(and it wasn't clear that the skull-like (shades of The Phantom?) Mt. Fate
>>was created by its collapse).

>This was a case of limited space and a lot of material to cover. We felt
>any cracks could be explained by the fans using their imaginations.
     ^^^^^^
In the wall, or the plot? :^) (Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Keep up the good work!

Ron