Re: A few things: (Actually, a lot!)

From: Dan Drazen <drazen_at_andrews.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 09:33:54 -0400 (EDT)

> Hrm...odd thing about Archie's ages--they maintain that Sally and
> Sonic are 15, but in the lead-in story to the Princess Sally miniseries,
> we see a panel where her mentor (sorry--I don't have the issues with me
> at the keyboard, and I can't remember the titles or names off the top of
> my head) mentions being at her commencement ball--and that same panel has
> Sally dancing with Sonic. Unless Mobius uses a vastly different system
> than Earth, shouldn't Sally be at least 16 (though I may be getting this
> 'commencement ball' confused with something else, I'm going on the
> assumption that its the same thing as a debutante ball or a coming-out
> party)? All things considered, I'd put Sally and Sonic as being 19,
> maybe very early 20's, Antoine being maybe a bit older, Bunnie and Rotor
> being a couple of years younger than S&S, and Tails being about 13, given
> actions and attitudes. How much time has passed between that ball and
> current day, anyway? For that matter, how long *has* it been since Robo
> took over??
> Chris Forsyth

I've always had trouble with Julayla's comment about the "commencement".
The only thing I can figure is that Kanterovich & Penders must have
written it without reference to "Blast To The Past" which established
"canonically" that Sonic, Sally et al. were 5 when Robotnik took over in
3224 MA [Mobian Age]. That ep, plus "Drood Henge," are pivotal in
establishing the Mobian timeline. Archie, unfortunately, has never been
held to be as canonical as the SatAM series, and has had to play
catch-up ever since, even with regard to character modeling. For the
longest time the Archie Sally was off-color [if you know what I mean]
and apparently based on the Sally that appeared only once, in the
off-model "Heads or Tails" ep from the first season.

Much as I'd want to put the gang toward the shank end of adolescence,
"Drood Henge" leaves it as unambiguous that they're in their mid-teens
and that Tails is a 10-year-old. As for time, 3224 from 3235 makes it
11 years that Robotnik has been in business. That makes it more
interesting for Tails, who would have been born within a year of
Robotnik's takeover and thus would never have known what Mobius was like
pre-Robotnik.