Fanfic and Politics: A Response

From: Joseph Delacroix <hk512_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 15:12:10 -0400

Having read the comments someone made about Gonterman's fanfic, and
specifically the comments made about his anti-anti-CDA stance
that was contained within it, I am driven to reply to it in a fashion
which I reserve exclusively for such inflammatory prose.

Sir, do you wish to say that you would take away David's right to
free expression, just because it *supports* the limitation of said
right? Do you not wish to support the total right of every American
citizen to hold the feelings and thoughts reguarding politics that our
Founding Fathers won in those hard years of the late 1700s?

If you do, use every means at your disposal to force, cajole, coerce, and
pretty much make David remove his political comments from his page.
Also, please stop supporting the anti-CDA movement. It is obvious
that you don't understand what free speech is to begin with.

Some may ask themselves around now why I would be assisting someone
like David, whose views I do not condone or support. The reason for
my actions here are as simple as the monitor in front of your face;
free speech, whether I agree with it or not, is something I would
willingly die for. It is the right of every American: AOLer or
Freenetter, Republican or Democrat, White or Black, or any other
differing groups you can name. Sure, David's views chafe with mine.
Mine chafe with him. That's what makes America great! Not the fact
that we are alike, but the fact that we are DIFFERENT.

In his own way, David is a patriot for having the guts to support an
unpopular opinion in the face of massive (at least, within his peer group)
resistance to it. He could have easily joined the crowd like some
have done out of sheer instinct, without understanding the implications
or the true meaning of 'free speech'. However, he followed his own
beliefs (even though I find them to be odd) and did what he thought
was right. In that respect, I salute him. However, my opinions of
his are a bit less flattering, but this is neither the time or the
place for such grandstanding.

I leave you with these words to consider.

If you have the BAM page censored, the Bookshire page could be next.
If you have the KKK banned, the EFF could just as easily be next.
If you have the Satanists banned, Jews could be next.
If you have the Republicans banned, Democrats could be next.

The splashing of water against cliffs causes houses to fall into the sea,
as do small drops of censorship on part of the Constitution of the USA.
Think about that before you tell someone that something should be
removed because it offends you. Censor one group, and you start you
censor the rest.

Reply to me, not the list.

Joe.

--
FurryMUCK: furry.org 8888 (Joe_Fox) | Joseph deLaCroix hk512_at_po.cwru.edu
SPR: svansmoj.ctrl-c.liu.se (Joe) | The CDA is bad. http://www.eff.com/