Re: Why why *WHY*???

From: Joseph Delacroix <hk512_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:02:29 -0500

The BAM person, DGonterman_at_aol.com, said:

[mass deletia]

And now, my warning.

Ratman, I am really, really sorry, but this is going to be off-topic.
Forgive me. I'm going to sate my yearn to spew venom on this subject,
but I will request any further replies to this go directly to the
parties involved. This is an issue I have a personal truck with,
so you're just going to have to humor me.

The below flame is totally unrelated to StH fandom. I suggest all
those who don't want to hear my libertarian diatribe on the true
nature of the Net vs. AOL stop reading now. This will be my only
comment on it to the list.

Again, my apologies about sending this to the list, but I've ignored
comments like these for too long.

^L

Anyway, Gonterman said:

>My two bits. . . . If you don't like sex or violence, I just have to ask you:
>
>Just what the flying phrack are you *doing* in the Net?

David:

Contrary to the endless stream of garbage being produced by Hollywood,
the mass media, the various idiotic perceptions of Exon's "Blue Book"
(which, by the way, the contents of which were illegal ten years before)
and the great majority of the "ME TOO" posters on the alt.binaries.*
and alt.2600 newsgroups regarding acquisition of porno and various
copies of the LoD technical manual from a certain domain that I will not
speak the name of, sex and violence are NOT *NOT* N-O-fragging-T the
main products of the Internet.

It is a well-known fact to most people who roam the darker corridors
of the Internet (and its popular offspring, the WWW) that porno and
bomb-making files are a real pain in the arse to acquire if you do not
know EXACTLY where to look. Even if you use the mighty Lycos search
engine and hit Archie and Veronica, it takes a good deal of technical
prowess to find most of the more...dangerous underground works.

Famous works of literature? Two clicks away from anywhere. Anime
pages? Three. Government documents, encyclopedias, cool robot arms,
all a few clicks away from most places. But porno and bombs?
A bit harder, and far, FAR, less prevalent.

Also, on a less pressing issue, please stop taking the name of Phrack
in vain. It was one of the great e-zines. It doesn't deserve the
degredation of being a cuss word. =)

>David Gonterman [dgonterman_at_aol.com]
>http://users.aol.com/dgonterman<<<<------Get BAMned!!!!

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Joe.

--
  | Joseph deLaCroix: hk512_at_po.cwru.edu | See: http://rat.org/bookshire |
  / MiSTie, orange fox, writer, MUCKer, builder, hacker, cynic, wiseass \