Re: Perv pictures are off rat.org

From: Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) Team OS/2 <"Erich>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 11:49:27 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, Ratman wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Nov 1995 DGonterman_at_aol.com wrote:
>
> [snip]
> Things like fan art and even fan fiction I feel are not property of Sega just
> because the characters are Sega's property.

The Copyright Act almost agrees. You own the story or picture you made
to the extent of the added material in such a derivative work, even if
the court decides the work as a whole infriges and/or is obscene. But
you still have no claim whatsover to the parts not yours. The use of
Sega's characters is, in legal terms, enough to let them quash fan fiction.

> And I can sort of understand Sega's perspective. They just don't want it
> readily available.

Sega could now set a precedent that would affect A!, TTA, and other
fandom. I don't have reliable access to Usenet anymore, but I would
encourage others on the list to discuss this issue in their favorite
Usenet groups (but don't violate the charter of whatever group(s) you
post to about Sega v. Sonic Fandom).

Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) [Team OS/2] A net.freedom-fighter for Mobius!
"Freedom Fighters are #1!" -- Sonic the Hedgehog
A! JW2 WAR++ PI0>+ BR+i SL++++i SK+++ RI0>++/++^ RU+
GDF0>+ BU++ MI- MM- KK-- Do $++ E59 Ee5 TRita Ay68 M
Mail: acme_at_use.usit.net | WWW: http://nyx10.cs.du.edu:8001/~eschulma