Licensing and Synergy

From: Ed Rudnicki <erudnick_at_pica.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 96 17:17:36 EDT

>>This is really about that much-maligned "Disney synergy", wherein
>>the entertainment helps to sell the toys, and the toys help to sell
>>the entertainment. Disney is derided for this, but it's likely a lot
>>of jealousy, as they're _consistently_ good with it, and it pays off
>>in profits for them.
>
>Eyaaah...Disney has its problems too. "Tale Spin" was one of the
>best DA programs ever to hit the airwaves, yet the marketing up
>here was a non-starter. Friends I know eagerly anticipated the
>TS comic, and Disney halted production after only a handful of
>issues due to organizational problems at their end (read "corporate
>blunders"). They may've restarted since. I haven't kept up.

They haven't. And yes, they do botch a property now and then (like "A
Goofy Movie" last year), but in general they've got the best record
in the business, bar none. Warner Brothers is close.

>>TedCo, OTOH, is a case study in how not to do it. They dropped the
>>ball with a superior propery, SK, and have grossly overcompensated
>>by literally lavishing promo money on the inferior JQ.
>
>Heh. Friends just saw two of the first JQ eps - both the Lawrencian version
>of the Universe - and commented:
>
>"Well...there's room for improvement. Like an entire football field."

The list of licensees is interesting, in that it includes a lot of
companies that Disney licensed TLM to, and went away from for
subsequent films.

>>Methinks I will visit H-B at Licensing 96 next week, and see if SK
>>is still considered a viable property.
>
>Heh. The report from that affair I would be *most* interested to hear.
>I usually find "polite but pointy" to be the best way to Bangalore Torpedo
>PR-speak at such affairs. The more folks mentioning SK at such events,
>the more often difficult questions will be asked in awkward places.

Well, I spoke with three different flacks, and mentioned how the SK
Gordy stuff is moving while the other properties aren't. There was
one rep there specifically from H-B/TCN (as opposed to Turner) but I
couldn't get time with her. I left my card for someone who could
help. Hopefully he'll write, as the phone number on it is bogus :)

The Turner booth, or should I say pagoda, was among the biggest. It
concentrated on JQ and Dexter's Laboratory, TCN, old properties like
the Flintstones and Tom & Jerry, and Turner Classic Movies.
Interesting freebies, like a promo version of the JQ CD-ROM styleguide,
Flintstones water, small plush Dinos. I got the JQ "digital style
guide", a folder filled with promo info, and the very nice sell
sheet for "Cats Don't Dance". Plus a plush dino for my secretary's
kid :)

No mention of _SK anywhere_. Even the TCN literature, which mentioned
H-B's 3500 hours of shows, listed about 15 programs by name, but not
the Kats.

Disney wasn't there, and Mattel was there as a licensor :(. Still,
got good info on the various upcoming animated features (Dreamworks
wasn't there either), lots of literature, various freebies, and tons
of food (Sailor Moon ice cream bars! :).

Ed