Re: Summer tour (slightly off-topic)

From: Ed Rudnicki <erudnick_at_pica.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 96 11:39:37 EDT

>>I know I'll regret asking, but what precisely is a "bokon"??
>>"Dedicated to the indomitable spirit of the sled dogs that relayed
>> antitoxin six hundred miles over rough ice, across treacherous waters,
>> through Arctic blizzards from Nenana to the relief of stricken Nome in
>> the winter of 1925. Endurance, Fidelity, Intelligence." -- "Balto"
>>

> A bokon (spelling may not be right)? A wooden practice sword. Mine's
>dezigned to look and feel like a Japanese katana blade.

It's spelled Boken. Typically used in kendo. The LAPD Mounted Police
unit uses them as an impact weapon, as being on the horse they need
more reach. Normally used for thrusting in their case.

> Yeah, you probably didn't want to ask. Now if only I could get a *real*
>sword before I hit Atlanta . . .

What would you like, dear? A sabre or two (or 5 or 6)? Perhaps one of my
6' long 10 lb Landsknechter doppelhandschwerten? A simple medieval knight's
sword? Roman gladius? I even have a Japanese Model 1905 cavalry
sabre, which has a katana-like blade and is quite light and handy
and should be ideal for you....

BTW, I'm not joking. I did say I collect "stuff", without specifying
the "stuff" :)

Ed