Re: The Turner Merger, Jungle Kats from Borneo and unshaven Geese..

From: Matt Weber <mweb_at_mich.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 22:33:19 -0400

At 11:18 PM 6/3/96 -0700, Chance wrote:

>Anyone know how ratings work? Basically, a company called "Neilsen" has
>created these things called "People Meters", and they install them in people's
>houses nationwide. Picture how many people watch TV in the USA, and then

Yes! I do know how they work, because I was one of them on more than one
occasion!

>From what I understand, they only use the set-top boxes in certain areas of
the country (I have no idea why). Each member of my family got a booklet
with a certain number of weeks listed like a DayRunner planner. We had to
fill out the channel numbers in the front of the booklet & write down every
single thing we watched. Unfortunately, I'm not one of the Nielson's right
now.. I'd have kats written down for every single day it's on -- and I
wouldn't just be writing it down and not watching either! (I _do_ watch
everyday provided I'm near a television.) And yes, I _do_ get cable at
work. Along with C & Ku satellite, compressed Ku digital, DBS, Microwave,
and Fiber-optic. <whew!>

<snip!>
>the thing up for TCN once the syndication deal wound down. They didn't
seem to have
>too much trouble recognizing a demand in that case (though new eps are
still up in the air
>at this point).

I think it's rather ironic that some of the networks have started listening
to the net-speak.. It would seem to me that many "extremists" being appeased
by TPTB would be more profitable than the "average" person.

-Matt