Re: The Turner Merger, Jungle Kats from Borneo and unshaven Geese..

From: Michael J. Rider <jaguar_at_warwick.net>
Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 19:34:15 -0400

Chance wrote:

[I wrote]
>>Geez, is everyone on this list flipping out or is it just me?
>
>Hmm. Bisexual Anime, obscure references to little-known carnival attractions
>(in the name of the lord, what, pray tell, is a "stubble goose"? "Boris"
>with the
>"Don Johnson" look perhaps?), all CAPS rants as the sole indication that the
>Army of Reason is in full retreat before the Dark Forces of Glucose? The dread
> mention of the mystical Leopard Boy from Borneo after a post full of Anne
>Rice
> faux-French?

<TALKER VOICE>Come one, come all. See the hyperactive vampire girl, the
man with Ten THOUsand nicknames and the mysterious werecat from parts
unknown!</TALKER VOICE>

>Meow.

Mrkgnao! (I'm feeling Joycean today.)

>Heh. Seriously, the merger deal that may be good for us Katfans is hung up
>due to a disgruntled major shareholder and some concerns of the U.S. Gov't
>anti-trust folks. Turner Entertainment and Time-Warner Communications
>tying the knot will require the assent of the biggest Justice of the Peace
>of all,
>as the resulting entity will be a communications behemoth with an *awful* lot
>of control over what we all see and hear. I can't see the Gov't
>interfering to
>any large degree though, as a similar deal just went down between
>Disney and Cap Cities (ABC Network), and Westinghouse is/has/will be doing
>something with CBS along similar lines. In short, if there's something to
>be said
>that either Disney, Westinghouse, or Turner/Time Warner don't agree with - your
>chances of hearing it just dropped significantly. (Hey, I'm an honours
>graduate
>of Paranoia 101!).

Why worry just because a few huge conglomerates control the entire mass
media? They have everyone's best interests at heart. (If you believe that
I have some wonderful land in Arizona to sell you.)

    / Michael J. Rider / :o o:
   / jaguar_at_warwick.net /_______oOOo_==( ^ )==_oOOo_________
  / aka: Ixbalam / ' /
 / Jason_Jaguar on FurryMUCK / Did someone say salmon? /
    / Brain> Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering? /
   / Pinky> Uh, I think so, Brain, but burlap chafes me so. /