Re: Greeblings

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 06:55:55 -0700

>On Sun, 12 May 1996 08:07:26 -0400 (EDT) Paul Kemner wrote:
>
>>That's assuming that Kats are human-sized. Is there any way to tell? Two of
>>my cats sleep in the same room as the computer, so they can usually keep
>>greeblings away from the keys. They don't seem to have the same luck with
>>glitches, though.
>
>That's true. The Kats could be cat size and the Turbokat no bigger than a
>large RC plane and we'd never know the difference. I always assume without
>information to the contrary that furry or cartoon characters are at or near
>human size. Some species are definitely underfoot (like in Capitol
>Critters and Rescue Rangers).

Speaking of "Capitol Critters"; Kats designer/writer Lance Falk and Kats
producer Davis Doi worked together on that series, and one of the reasons
Lance got to art-direct his own eps of Kats was due to the talent demonstrated
on that earlier project. (And quite likely why he was on Davis' short-list for JQ).

WRT "human-sized": generally, the writers of most 'toons will go out of their way
to put across the concept of "smaller than humans", as the character size often works
out to be a vital part of the storyline later on. Since the katsworld has nothing for
comparison, it'd be fairly hard to apply this here, but since there wasn't any compelling
reason to make them the size of a housecat (and the "Mutilor" storyline originally had
kat-sized humans in place of the Kat-Aquians), I think it's safe to assume the guys
are meant to be our size.

Meow.