Re: What's Up With Dogs?

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 07:05:39 -0800

>>Huh....wha...? How do the ones shown on TCN differ from the
>>versions shown on TBS?
>
>Along with the opening "Today on SK..", and the Secret Files, there were
>also bumpers before & after commercial breaks. A still frame of some action
>scene with "Take a break" or something, and a voice over saying "Nice flying
>guys! Now, take a break!". A similar intro bumper was inserted after the
>commercials (except it was "Back to the action!")

Ah, okay. There's a rule for broadcast programming in kiddie-land (Sat-AM)
that states the broadcaster has to insert 'bumpers' like this at the act-breaks so
that kids clearly realize where the teleplay ends and the commercials begin. There
was great fear when the kid-TV industry was deregulated (i.e., dropping the
"no half hour commercials masquerading as cartoons" rule) that shows would
simply become "buy-buy-buy" subliminal seduction for the kiddies, and the bumper
thing was introduced to help limit it. I think there's still a ruling that prohibits marketing
of the toys catering to the show in commercials *during* the show (that is, you shouldn't
see "Super Silly Silver Surfer" action figures promoted during the Super Silly Silver
Surfer Show), but for some reason TCN gets away with murder.