Just got a _TON_ of Kats reference materiel...

From: Chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 1995 07:04:50 -0700 (PDT)

     I had such a lousy day yesterday until the mail came, then WOW!

     I've now got a full-colour copy of the "Hanna-Barbera SwatKats Style
Guide", which they spent something like 20,000 bucks on. What is is
basically is colour (and b&w line art) of all the characters, (yes,
Callie-droolers, she's in there too), the TurboKat, and full-color shots
of some of the merchandise they were going to produce - including stuff
that was targeted at _ADULTS_ (including one helluva cool leather "Flying
Tigers" type of fighter-pilot jacket with the "SK" flashes and a bunch of
other patches - SK "Claw Marks" on one shoulder, and your choice of
"Razor" or "T-Bone" as the name on the thing).

     Lance Falk wrote the whole "style guide", and Michael Swanigan
essentially copied Lance's character descriptions and ep summaries
_verbatim_ (with Mike's own unique spelling arrangement, natch) in his
now-famous "Toon" magazine article. I've also got two unused script
premises written by Lance Falk, and Lance Falk plus Eric Clark, which are
_very_ cool, and would've made fine episodes if certain individuals
hadn't cancelled the series. Anyway, I don't know how much of this stuff
I can put up on the list, I've got to do some asking around - but all of
it is of great interest to Kats fans, and not damaging to H-B, so I don't
see the problem. The only drag might be the images in the "Style Guide",
as it was only supposed to be shown to the licensees - but, well - I'll ask.

    On the early draft of the "Style Guide", you could tell that Lance
was _really_ enthusiastic about the show. This description didn't make
it into the glossy version, but by reading it you can tell the guy's
general mindset, and that of others working on the project. Sadly, this
following bit also comes off somewhat ironic given the events which have
unfolded since:

     ON TARGET MARKETING:

        Now Turner Marketing is taxying for take-off with a wide-appeal
        program capturing this radical fun in merchandise, packaging,
        p.o.p. and a hangtag program that will wow the broad spectrum of
        its target audience. All kids will love the non-stop video game-
        like action, the energetic rock&roll music, the bright, cutting
        edge comic book-like graphics,

        **..and the appealing yet tough animal characters. (!!!)**

        (emphasis is mine - AH)

     I am tempted to cross this last bit to alt.fan.furry without the
attributions to Falk - any comments?

     "...$%#!!_at_!!, does EVERYTHING have to occur at the speed of MTV?!"
  - George Lucas on the cancellation of "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles",
    after hearing that viewers expected constant action, rather than a
                        "gentle history lesson"