more about the lists shutting down...

From: Ratman <rat_at_rat.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 13:29:57 -0400 (EDT)

I'd also like to say it wasn't anyone's fault that I shut down the list. I'm
not mad at anyone (except for that jerk that posted all those annoying posts
who I kicked off).
So no need to write me with an apology.

On a seperate note......

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Eric Goodwin wrote:

> OK, then I bring this question up: How are the writers to going ot be able
> ot get people to check out their stories, if there is no mailing list? how

Use alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog
This brings up something I should meantion that I am aware of. Not everyone
gets the sonic newsgroup. But it is at a lot of places.

> are others to know when new stories are added? And, where are we to direct
> them to? Bookshire? I would like someday to have some kinda network to where
> the writers and the person running the web page can keep in touch.

bookshire (bookshire_at_rat.org) does maintain a fanfic page, and stories have
always gone to him.
As far as a network for keeping in touch with the guy that runs the web
page, talk to bookshire.

On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Ron Bauerle wrote:

> >From: Ratman <rat_at_rat.org>
>
> >After thinking about it more, I think I'd like to shut the sonic list down.
>
> Isn't that a bit overreacting?

To what? This isn't a reflex action to an event. This is me thinking long and
hard about do I really want to continue to spend the time maintaining the
list, and devoting resources on my server for it.

> >I'll shut it down this weekend, so you all have a week to say your goodbyes
> >or whatever.
>
> Will list-admin Erich be back by then? But if it's your machine/account,
> I guess it doesn't matter...

I don't know what his status is. And it's not his decision anyway.

> >Those are my reasons, and this is not open for debate.
>
> The main things I _don't_ want to lose are Ken Penders' inputs as a Sonic
> writer/insider and Dan Drazen's reviews of the comics (even if he _was_
> apparently the straw that broke your back just by posting a "thanks"
> comment to the list instead of taking it to e-mail...)

Not really. Ken was one of the more informative posters. I've always enjoyed
his posts. The "thanks" post was an exception, and was annoying, but
certainly didn't have anything to do with me shutting down the list.

It was not anyone's fault, this is just me. So if someone should be blamed,
blame me. This is my server, and I'm pulling the plug on the mailing list.

> >And I do encourage you to use the alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog newsgroup. If your
> >internet provider does not carry it, tell them to! It's very easy to add
> >newsgroups, so they have no excuse.
>
> Except when they're GE and they decide to drop 90+% of the alt.* traffic

You're not alone. Many servers don't carry alt.fan.*, in which case no amount
of begging will help. I was thinking of the ISP I work for when I said that.
All a customer has to do is ask to get a newsgroup added to our server. But
in an environment where they ban a whole news hierarchy (did I spell that
right?), there isn't much you can do about it.

> Maybe what I'll do is maintain my original Sonic list and expand it to
> include the "quality" regulars from this list; maybe somebody else will
> want to restart it up as a regular mailing list again sometime...

That could be cool, if done right.
In case anyone is curious, there are 109 members of the main list, and 5
people on the digest version.