Re: Sonic X-Treme 4 Saturn Review

From: Chris Forsyth <foxfire_at_tsb.weschke.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 15:06:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 4 May 1996, THADDEUS BOYD wrote:

> >Keepers of the six magical Rings of Order, and the castle wherein they
> >practice the anchient art of ring smithing,
> >
> >(Another note from me: THEY do ring smithing? But I thought Chuck
> >was the only one... hmmmmm....)
>
> Well, as I've explained in at least two of my stories (The Hunt Begins and
> Jaded Views come to mind), there are several types of rings, including
> Magic Rings, Power Rings, Teleportation Rings, and Kabuki's Jaded Ring (the
> significance of which, for those who haven't figured it out, will be
> revealed in my next story, Ground Zero).
> ><

     This brings to mind something I've been pondering a while. In the
games, we have all these rings all over the place just hanging there to
be grabbed. In the cartoon, and many fanfics (not *quite* sure what
Archie is planning to use as the ring origon) we have the rings made by
Uncle Chuck (who, for a guy who's best known for his chili dogs, is
apparently a super-genius physicist and engineer).
     The difference, and the solution, though, is fairly simple--the
rings that occur in the zones are *Magic* rings, likely a by-product of
the same source that produces the chaos emeralds (which are another whole
ball of wax, considering that the games and such have only 12 emeralds (6
regular and 6 'super'), but the fanfics and the comic have them by the
truckloads. ;-) )--however, the ones made by Uncle Chuck are always
called *Power* Rings...possibly an attempt to duplicate or harness magic
rings? Anyway, that's my two Mobians on the subject...
                                    Chris Forsyth