Re: Sega Universe (was Micro Machinery)

From: Max <max_at_maxie.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 13:32:23 -0500

At 12:38 PM 3/14/96 -0330, you wrote:
>>Actually I don't like either platform. I just like the Sonic universe. The
>>characters. The Sat AM show hooked me in, not the games.
>
>It's the same way with me. I wish that ABC hadn't canceled the Sonic series.
>Does anyone know if they'll be bring the blue one back, or at least a
>spinoff, maybe Knuckles' Freedom Fighters.

Unless Sega changes directions again, it's not likely to happen. :-(

I became a true blue fan of Sonic and his world right after Sonic's 16th
(15th? I'll have to look it up) birthday, back in November of 1991. That was
when the original game was released. I'm far more of a Sonic fan than a
Sega one, I have only ever upgraded the Sega as needed to run the newer
Sonic games, and it doesn't look like I'll have any reason to buy a Saturn.

Sega has changed it's direction entirely last year, and moved into a
fighting games. They seem to have pushed Sonic and his friends out of the
picture altogether. Last November (Sonic's birthday) went by without a new
Genesis release for the first time since 91, and now Hedgehog Day (Sega's
re-name for Febuary 2nd, another release day for Sonic) has passed without a
whimper as well. Sega even cancelled thier own magazine (Sega Visions) a few
months ago, not that it's had any new Sonic comics, or anything Sonic for
that matter, for the last 6 months or so.

Until Sega produces new Sonic games, we are not likely to see anyone make
any more animated shows. It is a sad fact that the cartoon industry is only
driven by whether or not the show sells toys, and not by popularity.

 Max