Re: offical email about the perv pictures.

From: Joseph Delacroix <hk512_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 11:58:38 -0500

Ratmon said:

>On Sat, 4 Nov 1995, Joseph Delacroix wrote:
>
>> I will support anything that involves the freedom of expression. Sega is
>> wrong to do this...they've already screwed us out of a 3rd season, and now
>> the porno. What's next? Perhaps the *regular* pictures? Perhaps they'll
>> tell us to get rid of a fanfic story because it `isn't the image we want
>> Sonic the Hedgehog associated with'.
>
>I can understand their objection on the porno. But fan fiction? I will stand
>up to that. If they tell me to remove them, I'll tell them I'll see them in
>court.

Well, friend, that's where I see this heading. Corporations and censorship
start small. That's how they get away with MURDER. =P

>> Personally, I'm FED UP with Sega's behavior. This is too much. Censoring
>> a few porno pics is where they'll start. This is how they build a CASE.
>> Soon, if this awful trend continues, they'll regulate every part of StH
>> fandom...unless we get OFF OUR TAILS and make a *big* stink about this.
>> The more press we can generate about this incident, the more likely they'll
>> back down.
>>
>> Most large corporations are cowardly; they don't like bad PR, and
>> especially from the Internet. And if we got a lot, I bet we could
>> generate enough press to get a substancial number of people interested in
>> the StH cartoon again.
>
>I had to ask 3 times for an offical email. But they were concerned that "Sega
>would be made out to be a bully". And I told her that if she was going to ask
>me to take it down, she would have to ask me to take it down. There is no way
>I was going to take it down if they were not going to even ask me officially.

That's the correct attitude to take. I hope you saved that email.
You should put it on the page where the `Mature' section used to be.

>> Think about it. This is a 1st Amendment issue. The EFF would get behind
>> us all the way if we could just get their attention...)
>
>I don't know enough about the legal issues.
>But aside from that, I'd rather not get on Sega's bad side unless it's
>necessary. If they tell me to take down the regular pics, I will have to get
>on their bad side.

I can understand your concern. But "Bob"dammit, this sort of thing makes
me mad! They have a legal, but not a moral right to do this. Your page
has given them more business than not, and an overwhelming amount of the
materials on your page are corporation-approved.

I'll pull some strings and call some favors for ya, Rat, if you so desire.
I think I could get you a page in Germany or Finland, where their
juristiction is weaker. That, or an discreet ftp site.

>boy, I get the feeling that this is going to be a hot topic for this list for
>awhile....

Yup.

                                                        -- That cyberpunk.

--
         -- Joseph deLaCroix -- Professional Idiot Exterminator --
  Information wants to be sold for exorbitant fees, then totally devalued