Re: Joseph's Plan to Save Sonic.

From: Ron Bauerle <BAUERLE_at_engr.erie.ge.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 1995 9:50:26 -0400 (EDT)

>From: hk512_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Joseph Delacroix)

>To: sonic_at_bort.mv.net

What happened to "sard.mv.net"?

>Hello there. I'm Joseph from FurToonia, and I've recently discovered this
>mailing list. I'm a rather large Sonic fan, so I was rather dismayed when
>I finally realized ABC wasn't carryin StH anymore. So...

Took you this long, did it? :^)

>I wrote this message on the bulletin board on FurToonia. I'm sending it,
>in a slightly altered form, to this list in hopes of arousing your interest
>in my plan.

(most of message deleted)

>1. The final episode. If the last episode of Sonic the Hedgehog was not
> the most extreme cliffhanger in the history of all Saturday morning
> cartoons, I'm not orange.
                       ^^^^^^
Just what flavor of furry are you? :^)

> Even the SWAT Kats ended with a modicum of closure; all of THEIR bad
> guys were DEAD.

Interesting; I didn't know that (I gave up on SK since all I was doing was
drooling over Callie and Felina, and that's not good for me...)

> What of Snively, and the mysterious eyes behind him? What happened to
> Robotnik? What about the King? (Talk about your cartoonus interruptus...)

Heh!

>2. This was a *good* show. It gave all SORTS of good messages. It was
> pro-environment (the good guys live in peace with nature, badniks
> destroy it), anti-pollution (ditto),

But it was fairly subtle about it, unlike, say, Captain Planet...

>3. It was also a "good" show in the respect that it was well-written and
> animated. Very rarely does such a quality show end up on ABC, and
> especially during the SatAM merchandising-block. It had drama. Pathos.
> And it was *funny* sometimes, too. It was a show that anyone of any
> age could watch and appreciate on some level.

The only other one that comes to mind was the first season of Ewoks.
But actually Reboot has many of the same elements, but it's such a
different show that I'm not sure the comparison is valid.

> And I'm sure these people would gladly buy any products that any sponsor
> of the show would produce, and recommend X product to their friends.

Depends on the product - I don't know about Sonic underwear, cereal, or
canned pasta product with imitation cheese :^)

>Now, here's what I'm thinking here...basically, all we do are these
>three things:

>2. Then, a letter should immediately follow the previous message that one
> could send to (our main enemy) Sega.

It has yet to be determined just who the "enemy" is here; Sega, DIC, or ABC.

> It would be pretty similar to the thesis about why the show is good;
> it would explain why we want Sega to give permission back to DiC to make
> StH episodes, and our willingness to fully support them if they do. (If
> we need to write a 2nd letter, this will be slightly more threatening.)

Here's where I have a problem; "threats" never work, especially when
they're idle ones; just _how_ would you "threaten" them? There's nothing
to boycott, which is all they care about. The only possible exception is
the video games, and let's face it, most fans of the show and/or comic
either have already bought all the video games they're going to, or they
don't buy them in the first place (I'm in the latter category).

>So, whaddya think? If we all work together on this, we could probably at
>least make enough noise to make them notice us.

I think that while it would be nice to have Sonic back, it would also be
nice to have new Tiny Toons too; given the current marketing/programming
situation, I don't expect to see either again. All we can do is keep the
memories alive via the list, Usenet, and fan-fic, and/or move on to
whatever replaces them (unfortunately, none of the replacements (for Sonic
_or_ TTA) are nearly as good).

RDB