Rupert "Robotnik" Murdoch

From: Dan Drazen <drazen_at_andrews.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 11:08:52 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings.

It was reported last week that, according to an internal source at
Archie Comics, the REAL reason Sonic the Hedgehog was cancelled on
Saturday morning was the fact that it was up against the Mighty Morphin'
Power Rangers on Fox.

In the interest of accuracy, I did a little research in some back issues
of _TV Guide_ we haven't thrown out/recycled yet.

When the second Sonic season began on September 17, 1994, the show was
up against Beethoven on CBS and MMPR on Fox. The lineup stayed that way
until December 10, when ABC moved Sonic from 8:30 (Eastern) to 8:00.
This move, too late to rescue the numbers from the November sweeps, now
put Sonic up against Disney's The Little Mermaid on CBS and Jim Henson's
Dog City on Fox. This situation held steady until February 4, the
beginning of the February sweeps. Fox shifted its lineup and Sonic was
once again in the same time slot as MMPR. The 1-2 punch of being up
against MMPR during two sweeps periods in a row probably was, indeed,
the reason the show was cancelled. Pity.

Well, I take comfort in the fact that Morphin' Mania, like Disco Fever,
will run its course one day. Whether Sega and DiC will want to make
another run at SatAM remains to be seen.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled rodent.
|| |\__-- /\ _- || Daniel J. Drazen
|| | / __ _ || drazen_at_andrews.edu