RE: all ye non-believers, I'm back...

From: Squeamish Ossifrage <wgraham_at_freenet.calgary.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 06:49:40 -0600 (MDT)

A recent post prompted me to add my thoughts on the subject...

Mike Wallis writes:

> I currently only have access to character info on Sonic, Tails,
> Robotnik, Knuckles, and Sally.

I'm curious about exactly who created Sonic in the first place.
Did Sonic appear anywhere before the Sonic 1 game?

On Wed, 19 Apr 1995, Jeffrey Pegnato wrote:
> How do you know Sally is NOT a fox for sure? (if you mention the
> comic, I'll ignore you) (and WHO decides these things?)

Comparing Sally with the squirrels in my back yard, there is a striking
resemblance, particularly with her face (mouth and nose) and hands.
Ok, so she doesn't have beady eyes and a big, fluffy tail, but then again
she's a _Mobian_ squirrel, so it's allowed.

> Why does Tails have 2 tails?

How else is a HFF going to fly?
Since he is a "Two-tailed fox, Mobius variety", that's just normal for him.
What I'd like to know is how he manages to rotate his tails without getting
them wrapped around each other. It's just magical the way he does that. :-)

> What happened to Robotnik at the end of the last season?

Similar sort of thing as happened at the end of '3 Phases of Eve', I expect.

> Why, if her father is a fox, is Sally not?

Obviously, Mobian genetics are quite different than ours.
Judging by Sally and Sonic's kids in 'The Quest' and 'The Return',
a Mobian species is inherited from the parent of the same gender.
(Their daughter inherited Sonic's faster-than-lightning trait, so
not all characteristics are inherited this way.)
That would suggest that Sally's mother is a squirrel too.

> Why are there so many inconsistencies between the comic book, T.V. show,
> and books?

I invented a "windows on Mobius" theory to deal with this. We have many
such windows now: each game is one, the SatAM cartoon is one, the
Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon is another, and all of the
comics, books, and posters are yet others. The "glass" in these windows
acts like lenses, changing the way Mobius is seen through them.

Does Sonic have 3, or 4 fingers on his hands? It depends on the window
you're looking through. Each artistic group on Team Sonic creates their
own window, as does anyone who draws a Freedom Fighter.

 - William Graham -