Re: Web sites, and FanFic.

From: Michael J. Rider <jaguar_at_warwick.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 18:58:56 -0400

In a message dated 11:30 PM 7/17/96, Edo Andromedo wrote:

>If I do ever finished it, I have a bad habit of not finishing what I start.
>Example: My Snowspeeder kit is still under construction, and I first
>started assembling it more than three months ago (or a year maybe)! Then
>again, my remote control model helicopter kit is still in parts, and I got
>it as my 13th birthday.

        Neat, I built a snowspeeder ages ago. And I thought _I_ put things
off. I do still have an ED-209 kit sitting around someplace.
        BTW, I'm lagging behind a little on getting my own web site put
together.

>Would you believe Netscape Navigator (BTW, Navigator Gold can edit a HTML
>files) and just a simple text (simple text will do just fine, right
>Michael? ;) editor?

        SimpleText will do it, but there are _much_ better text editors.
Just because it comes free with every Mac doesn't mean it will do
everything. I've been using BBEdit Lite. BBEdit even has plugins to add
html tags from a dialog box. TexEdit Plus ($10 shareware) is good too and
it's probably the best thing for formatting readable plain text files --
like fanfic -- on a Mac.

>Hey, what you need is only a text editor, a web browser (to see if you site
>looks good), HTML codes that you steal (copied) from other web pages, and a
>basic knowledge on writing a HTML file.
>
>Example:
>
><HTML>
><TITLE>
>SWAT Kats
></TITLE>
><H1>SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron</H1>
></HTML>

        You're missing a few things, try this:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<P ALIGN=center><H1>SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron</H1></P>
<BR>
<HR ALIGN=center WIDTH=80% SIZE=4>
<P>Some junk</P>
<P>Some other junk</P>
<P>Yet more junk</P>
<P><STRONG>Bold Crud</STRONG></P>
<P><BLINK>Blinking Crud</BLINK></P>
</BODY>
</HTML>

        There are a few Netscape extensions in there. The HEAD and BODY
tags aren't absolutely required, but it's a good idea to use them.

>Crud! I lost your fanfic story along with half of dozen of my fanfic
>stories (which is BTW only half written), hard drive took them from me.

        Backup, backup, backup, Edo.

   / Michael J. Rider / The laws of physics have no basis in /
  / jaguar_at_warwick.net / reality. They describe the operation of /
 / aka: Ixbalam / the human mind -Robert Anton Wilson /