Curses and Litterpans

From: Paul Kemner <pkemner_at_bright.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 07:49:18 -0400 (EDT)

>The line is "Crud!" which is basically a goody-good version of "Crap!" A
>pet peeve of mine is "watered-down curses" as I like to call them, even
>though I personally don't care for the word crap either.
A lot of people *really* used to talk that way. Remember the stir that
"frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn" caused when Gone with the Wind came
out? I remember people launching into a hair-raising string of curses and
oaths when something terrible happened (in real life), none of which would
be on any FCC-list. And this wasn't school marms or the like- they would
definitely be in the 'rough tradesmen' category. It's a big switch from
people now who only know one word, that *is* on the FCC list- they use it so
much that they have to repeat for emphasis. (hmmm- did he say the word 27 or
32 times? It's hard to keep from laughing).

>>>Well, they do talk about "that big litterbox in the sky".
> That phrase always confused me. It was obviously the writer's attempts to
>"katize" the show
Like the "It's back to the Brick Litterbox with you" -Feral to Shard. A
prison as a litterbox?
=^^=