Re: Hello People

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 19:05:47 -0700

>Since womyn are generally a mystery to most men, as I'm sure would be the
>case for Jake/Chance, I think the reaction of the guys being confronted with
>a question like, "What do you look for in a significant other," would be a
>crowning achievment in the development of the characters.
>
>Chance & Callie in a car driving to the theater in a strictly "friends" way:
>
>Cal: So, Chance, what qualities do you like in a girl?
>Cha: Huh?
>Cal: What kinda g...
>Cha: Whoa! Where'd that question come from?!
>Cal: I'm just curious.. that's all.
>Cha: Well..
>Callie leans forward & focuses on Chance
>Cha: Hmm.. sounds like there's a slight pinging coming from the engine.
> I'd better check it out for ya later.

This is great! That's the kind of thing it would be hard to squeeze into some
:22 minute ep, but would lend itself perfectly to a Kats OAV or theatrical
release. S'cool. That's really the problem with having any kind of character
development in most ac/adv stuff, as the minutes go by pretty fast when you
have to introduce the players, set up the conflict, play it out, then wrap it
up. All in three acts. Something like an 88 minute OAV still has to hit all
those points between starting and finishing credits, but there's so much more
room for "padding" in terms of stuff like character dev. Most of the gang in
the show seldom get more than one or two sentences of dialogue in a single
serving (unless it's DK or Viper outlining their nefarious schemes to incapacitated
cast-members), and it would be kinda nice to hear more. BTAS did a good job
of working in some character stuff in between foiling the plans of the nasty-du-jour,
but I thought it jumped to the next level with that "Mask of the Phantasm" OAV.
Anything that "heavy" attempted during the afternoon run (like "Robin's Reckoning")
was forced into two parts. I think "Cry Turmoil" came close to that in its original
form (and could even be considered a two-parter with "Turmoil 2:The Revenge"
lined up for the next season).

(Man, I'm in a ranting mood this week, huh? Lucky I buy my keyboards at the
  "Case-lot" sale....)