Re: Why Kats got canned?

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 21:36:48 -0700

> Hmm. I think I have found out why the kats got canned at that
>time. Turner was just coming out with TCN around that time, and they
>wanted to bring all their attention to the WPTs and Space Ghost, so they
>cancelled the currently running shows: SWAT Kats and 2 Stupid Dogs. There
>you have it. B & W.

Meow...interesting, but kinda slips between the rails logically. TCN was created
as a venue to show the H-B back-catalogue purchased by Turner (remember, Ted
bought the MGM catalogue to have something to show on TBS and TNT), and
was meant to be a device whereby programming that costs Ted nothing could
be re-aired ad infinitum and generate costless revenue. Ted still has the "low cost" theme
very much in evidence, as he still dredges up ancient non-HB toons and recent
syndication "failures" to flesh out the schedule. Kats is really popular on TCN, but
it's also really expensive. Problem is, the audience likes what they like, and if
Turner is unable to wean the existing TCN audience off of the 'Kats with another of their
projects - they're going to lose it entirely. That's not escaped the TCN powers-that-be,
but they don't have a mandate that enables them to procure more eps. Ted keeps
literally *shovelling* money into "Captain Planet" and "The Real Adventures of
Jonny Quest" in the attempt to *purchase* good numbers, yet they ignore a
winning formula that they've already paid for and proven with "SwatKats". I bet
Allen Bohbot would've given his left nut to have been the distributor for
the 'Kats, and indeed, certain Disney marketing execs were literally *howling* with
laughter when news of the cancellation reached them. It's hard to fear a competitor
that delights in target practice involving one's own foot.

>I NEED LETTERS AND TED JOKES!!!! PLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSEEEE!!! Don't just
>brush this off! Terra, Edo, are you up for the soundtrack? I must know!
>mail me with anything you have: Letters, Ted Jokes, if you want to send
>some fan art, send it on a disk via snail mail to:

I think you've got the dreaded "Tim Fay disease" there, A.J. Everyone loves the
Kats, but they probably won't get much time until school's out. Don't give up!