SwatKats Haiku Contest !?!?

From: Paul Kemner <pkemner_at_bright.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 19:48:19 -0400 (EDT)

After my last post to Edo Andromedo., I was inspired to write the following
haiku:

An Okha for Edo

Petals of vengance
wafted by a divine wind-
white blossoms bloom red.

Haiku are 17-syllable three-line poems. 5 syllables in the first line, 7 in
the second, and 5 in the third. They aren't supposed to rhyme. They are also
supposed to be chock-full of subtlety and ambiguity. For example, in my
haiku: Okha (blossom) was the nickname for the late-WWII rocket-powered
suicide bomb-plane (Yokosuka MXY7) developed for the Imperial Japanese Navy.
(It was usually painted white.) Edo could refer to the old name for Tokyo,
or our own illustrious Edo Andromedo.
Kamikazi means 'Divine Wind' referring to an event in Japanese history that
I won't go into here. Am I sending an Enforcer-piloted Okha at Edo A. to
eliminate him? Or am I picturing a scene from aviation history to delight
him? Or, perhaps, are these the thoughts of a young WWII aviator, about to
embark on his first (and last)
mission (who will die too early to enjoy the SwatKats)? So much to reflect on!

So I was inspired by another great idea!!! How about the first SwatKats
Haiku Contest? You could write your own haiku about anything related to the
Kats characters, their weapons, etc.! Or you could write one about your
fellow NetKats, or perhaps compose one in honor of your favorite network
executive! Here are some other examples I just made up in honor of Feral's
former second-in-command:

Crafty Steel weasel,
from Enforcers to Police
transferred by Feral.

Or, If you don't like that reason for Steele not being in the second season,
how about:

Shifty, ferrous kat,
gobbled by Viper's minions!
Long Live Felina!

See how easy it is? So you think you don't have the time or talent to write
a finely-plotted fanfic story? At least you can write haiku! They can be
subtle and artistic like mine (^-^), or silly, or whatever- you decide!

Where do you submit entries? Who is/are the judge(s)? What are the prizes?
When is the deadline? Details ! Details! I'm in a creative mood, don't ask
me about details! (For prizes- how about a do-it-yourself complete cell
collection of your favorite SK episode-you supply the acetate, pens, &
talent? Or a signed copy of your favorite fanfic story? Or having your haiku
printed in the new SK magazine?) The possibilities are endless!
*****************
Paul Kemner
pkemner_at_bright.net
they laughed at old Picasso, they laughed at Debussy, they laughed at
Jerry Lewis- they were wrong about all three!
Paul Kemner | "Many people appear to imagine that they cannot
Toledo, Ohio | afford to have artistic surroundings, whereas
pkemner_at_bright.net | the wonder is that they can afford so much
--------------------- expensive ugliness." M. H. Baillie Scott