Re: Kat stuff

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 16:51:44 -0500 (CDT)

> I'm curious, since that you mention there is some SWAT Kats fans hanging aroun
d in the Dominion (Read:"Poll for new Kats link") , I think I like to know how m
any are they in Dominion.

    Well, I already said the estimated number of readers, as for the number of
fans, your guess is as good as mine (But the fact that someone is reading
something Kat related would suggest that they *are* fans.)

> OK, is SWAT Kats an anime?
>
> >That's not really helping your case for SWAT Kats as anime, is it? ;->
>
> I'm not saying that SWAT Kats is an anime, I'm only questioning its status, if
    Really? See the above question.

> it got all the characteristic of an anime, why it isn't called an anime?

    Because anime status isn't determined by content, just nationality. Here's
an analogy:

    The most mainstream of American comics feature superheroes, and underground
and independent American comics tend not to. The most mainstream of manga
rarely feature superheroes, but some obscure titles do, sort of. You can't
call the American comics that don't feature superheroes manga, and you can't
call the manga that do American comics since certain styles, characteristics,
and genres may be common in each, but what really distinguishes the two is
nationality.

    In Japan animation has been used in some manner for just about every genre
there is. The most mainstream of anime tend to be of certain styles,
characteristics, and genres. Mainstream American animation tends to be youth
orientated/family (G-Rated) musicals. Some anime are similar, but they are
still anime. There are examples of American animation that are rather atypical
in that they are closer to what we see in anime, but what really distinguishes
the two is nationality.

    Ok, that's about it for me. If you still have questions, just go back and
reread old posts about it because I'm tapped out and really can't think of
anything more to say on the matter. =->

> >I was just using Mook as an example, the same can be said of any foreign
> >animators who may not be fluent in English, such as those at Hanho.
>
> OK, so why use foreign animators who may not be fluent in English?

    What, reject their talent just because they may not be fluent in English?
Such a limitation seems unreasonable. It's much easier to just get a [Foreign
Language] <--> English dictionary and tell them to use it if in doubt.

> Edo Andromedo email : macsonic_at_rad.net.id

  |\ __ /| Kevin L. Knoles klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu |\ __ /|
  | | | |
   \ / Check out SWAT Kats on the Web: \ /
     \/ http://rat.org/kats \/