More anime nitpicks

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 22:14:57 -0500 (CDT)

> How about if an animations that has those "anime" features, is it an anime or
not?

    OK, back to this topic again. There are certain art and animation styles
that are prominent in anime, but those in themselves do not qualify the work as
anime. When all is said and done, an anime is only determined as such by the
nationality of its original audience. SWAT Kats has many of those prominent
features of anime, but it is not due to its nationality of origin.
    From what I'm sensing, Edo, you're assigning the term anime to animation
that possesses those features. The ironic thing is that some anime such as
Legend of the Forest, Wings of Honneamise, Ninja Scroll, and Street fighter 2
for instance, have less of these features than SWAT Kats. But having been made
for a Japanese audience, they are anime while SWAT Kats is not. Why do you
so want the SWAT Kats to be considered anime? Is an anime-like
American/Canadian show not good enough for you?

> >and *initially* recorded in Japanese (such as Space Cruiser Yamato aka Star
>
> Intially, does this mean that it was first recorded in Japanese?

    Yep.

> Now a question. Are the Power Puff Girls an anime or not?

    I seem to recall the PPG's being an entirely American production, animation
and everything. The anime influence is obvious and intentional, but that's
where it ends. No, PPG's are not an anime (But very anime-like.)

> Edo Andromedo email : macsonic_at_rad.net.id

  |\ __ /| Kevin L. Knoles klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu |\ __ /|
  | | | |
   \ / Check out SWAT Kats on the Web: \ /
     \/ http://rat.org/kats \/