Re: Ted Turner Dartboards are here!

From: Matthew O. Weber <mweber_at_scpo.schoolcraft.cc.mi.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 96 17:07:00 PST

>Ut-oh, nitpick time. The frame rate (number of frames for each second of
>footage) is generally 24 frames/sec for film animation, and 30
frames/second
>for Television. One would thing that there's 30 different drawings on cels
>Most feature film animation is done on ones and on twos. That is,
>it's only a full 24 fps for scenes with lots of action, while it's 12
>When 24 fps animation is transferred to 30 fps video, some of the
>twos become threes. The only way to get true frame-by-frame of the
>original film via video is from a CAV LD.

I don't want to get too far away from the subject, but... :)
Some new transfer methods use an electronic shutter on the video "camera".
 Since each "frame" of film is 1/24th of a second, and video is 1/30th of a
sec., you simply find the common denominator (120). The film & video will
sync at 1/120th of a second shutter speed. Run the film and video normally
with that shutter speed, boost the light from the projector, and you'll see
no flicker. (Trust me, I've done this..)

LD players are really cool! However, Kats haven't been released on LD
unfortunately. Whose arm do I have to twist?

 -Matt