Fan Club

From: MATT WEBER <matt_w_at_mci.newscorp.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 21:09:52 -0500 (EST)

>> SWAT KATS: The Radical Squadron: The Radical Fan Club
>
>I like this.

Heh. It took me a while to come up with this (believe it or not). I wanted
to add something to my sig to promote the kats & I think this states it
best. Hopefully those who don't even know what SK is, will ask & those who
do know, will ask about the fan club part. Yes, I know that we don't have
an *official* fan club at the moment...

>Again, when Turner dumped the responsiblity
>for dealing with fan-mail/fan relations
>in the lap of H-B's "Classic Cartoons" division,

[silly excuses from Turner removed]

>Even if they just offered the same Kats stuff that
>the H-B "Employee Store" once had, I think they'd
>find public opinion concerning Turner and their
>handling of Katfans would take a gestalt
>leap upward.

Ya know, I think if TCN & TPS kept track of what goes on in groups like this
and in newsgroups like rec.arts.animation they'd have a much better idea of
how their shows are doing. I know that WB looks in on the newsgroups once
in a while to see an almost instant response to what the fans thought.
(Pinky & the Brain caused quite a bit of net traffic when on A!, now look
where they are!). TPS can't rely solely on Nielsen ratings to gauge the
popularity of SK. A lot of people don't have TCN and most people aren't up
at 4:35AM on a Sunday morning (when SK was on TBS).

>Of course, finishing the three incomplete episodes
>for broadcast would help a bit too...as would
>replacing one of the duplicate halfs of "Scooby" on
>TBS with a Kats slot. If they really want to
>know why they're losing on all fronts, they should
>just put "The Deadly Pyramid" and "Yukky Duck"
>side-by-side and elicit comments. Some of them might
>even be repeatable in polite company.

It'd be real interesting to see what would happen if TCN slipped one of the
SK "shorts" into the WPT slot. "SWAT Kats Unplugged" would be short enough
to fit into the time slot & I think is much better than any of the WPTs I
could sit through.

 play: matt_w_at_mci.newscorp.com work: mweber_at_schoolcraft.cc.mi.us
      Purrcy on IRC #swatkats channel & soon to be on Furtoonia
        SWAT KATS: The Radical Squadron: The Radical Fan Club