Re: Rat Gets The Bird

From: Ratman <rat_at_granite.mv.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 14:01:33 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Nov 1995, Timothy D Fay wrote:

> Hey, I just heard that rat.org was forced to take down all of its Sega
> fan art after Sega's lawyers sent a nastygram to the site admin. The
> gorey details are in misc.news.internet.discuss.

The only post I saw was from Quozl, and he wrote he was in email contact with
me. The truth is he offered his help if I needed any legal backup, and I said
if I needed it, I'd take him up on it.

> I mention this because rat.org is also site of a lot of SWAT KATS stuff.
>
> -Tim

Here's what really happened.

A woman from Sega's legal department (not a lawyer) called me on the phone
and asked me nicely to take down the x-rated Sonic fan art I had. I decided
it was best not to get on Sega's bad side, and I understood how it's not good
for Sega's image to have this artwork floating around, so I cooperated and
took them all down.

I asked her to follow up with an email, which she did and I posted it to
http://rat.org/sonic/noperv.html

As far as the normal fan artwork and fan fiction, nobody seems to have a
problem with that. That person from Sega did ask me to get permission for the
other stuff, which I replied "who can I ask?", and they never got back to me.
So as far as I'm concerned, I'll keep the stuff on the site unless they have
a problem.

Nobody has contacted me regarding the dirty Kats art, and if they do, I'll
take those down as well.

email: rat_at_rat.org WWW : http://rat.org FTP : ftp://rat.org/pub