Re: THAT"S IT!!!!!

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 07:48:23 -0800

At 11:39 AM 10/28/95 -0700, you wrote:

H-B doesn't really know _what_ to do. The last thing I heard out of there
before I got taken off the Christmas-card list was that the WPT "Shake and Flick" was
about to become H-B's next series. Um, yeah. I'm still waiting for Buzz
Potamkin to answer a few things, he might have some suggestions for pissed off fans.

And Matt_W__at_iforget.the.new.add.already wrote:

>"Shake and Flick"!!?!? You've got to be kidding!

Don't we wish. Cheap to make, one of the more popular of the WPT's. What
more could a cheap eco-sensitive silly-moustache-man desire.

>Sounds like a good idea. Maybe we should cross-post everything from the
>mail-list to the newsgroup (sans some of the more "non-public" info).

I suggested this earlier to Dana when he was list-admin, and he shot it down
for what were likely quite valid reasons at the time. I'll go on record and say
I personally thing it's a great idea, but responses posted by the great unwashed
will _NOT_ wind their way into the list unless forwarded here by a list member
who also reads a.t.s.k. (i.e. - manual anti-spam/anti-troll control). Unless there
are any strenuous objections, I'm going to make enquiries of Rat to see if there's
something in software to allow such a thing on the server. There might be some
concerns about people not wanting their stuff "in public", but if you stop to think
about it, this list is "public" after a fashion; anyone can sign up! Besides, it will
help a.t.s.k. and list-membership immensely, methinks.

>I read an interesting article in the latest TV Guide. An interview with
>Steven Spielberg.
>One particular question goes like this:
>
>TVG: A lot of kids' shows are criticized for being nothing more than
>half-hour commercials
>for toys. How do you separate yourself from producers who are in it just
>for that?

(I'm going to cross this to Warners and alt.tv.animaniacs if you don't object.)

>S.S.: Tiny Toons, Freakazoid!, and Animaniacs were obviously never intended
>to sell
>merchandise because we have not put out a lot of merchandise, other than
>T-shirts and
>cups. Believe me, it's not beneath me at all. I mean, if there were a
>really great
>adventure show with superheroes and vehicles and weapons out there that I
>could get
>my chops around, I would merchandise the heck out of it. But I'm not really
>interested
>in the adventure game genre as much as I'm interested in social humor.
>
>Hmm.. maybe we need to get Steven's email address!

Wow. SS and SwatKats would go together like paw-in-glove! I've dropped
hints at Warners, and all my Kat-whining over the year has been crossed to
alt.tv.animaniacs as well, so who knows? If Warners gets control over H-B to
some degree, maybe they'll sift through the owned properties and decide to
reactivate Kats to flesh out the Kids WB? I'll ask someone I know about
The Steven's address at either Amblin or Dreamworks...he rarely pokes his
nose into WBA and leaves the day-to-day stuff pretty much to Ruegger.
Kids WB will likely be looking for mid-season replacements after November
sweeps kills of "Earthworm Jim" and "Freakazoid" (that's a guess folks, not
a fact) - maybe I could suggest the 'Kats now that they're "part of the family"?

  "I'm on the Internet...sometimes every day. I use it to plug in and feel the
   pulse of my audience. I think most producers used to wait for the fan mail
   to roll in. You don't need to do that anymore. There's instant communication
   with your audience. -- The "X-Files" Chris Carter