Re: Animato!

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 07:13:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Jun 1995 flogistn_at_netaxs.com wrote:

> - "Which is the better show: 1) SwatKats
> 2) Exosquad
>

> *snort* What a stupid question!
>
> I avoid UseNet like the plague. Too many morons for my liking.
> But Exosquad is a danged good show, and I hate to say that its overall
> quality is higher than Swat Kats.
>
> BUT...
>
> There's no furry critters, the humor is dry, the plotlines are often
> depressing,
>
> AND...
>
> The damned thing's a serial, so if you miss a week or two, you get totally
> lost.
>
> That's why I stopped watching it.

     The "stupid question" is comparing apples to oranges, certainly -
and was phrased as it was strictly to attract moths to the flame(s). I
can do "moth". Exo had stuff going for it, and I don't think you have to
like the one show to the exclusion of the other, but I found a lot of
Exo's characters to be somewhat wooden. 'Kats, to me anyway, gave me
protagonists that, though feline, were more three-dimensional than most
of the main characters on Exo - and given the choice of watching 65 eps
of either - 'Kats wins. The "criteria" for this flame-fest is supposedly
"character", "story" and "art". In that last category, 'Kats wins, end
of story. "Character", you have to care what happens to the characters
in order to make the story work - I really like Jake/Razor, T-Bone/Chance
but couldn't really say the same for Wolf Bronski or J.T. Marsh, who were
"heroes" cast somewhat in the Marvel-mode, and IMO not that interesting
in comparison. "Story"? Okay, 'Kats did perhaps a few-too-many monster
battles, but that kind of theme was just used as a framework to hang all
that great character-stuff on. Sure, defeating whatever giant monster
involved lots of cool animation etc, but the way the guys interact with
each other in the process keeps me watching - can't say the same for "Exo".
Interestingly enough though, the most vocal group of pissed-off "Oh they
cancelled my favourite show" is almost a tie between us and
Exo-followers, and USA network has set an interesting precedent with
"Exo" which may just end up helping 'Kats. USA network has agreed to air
the first two seasons of Exo, and may commission 13 new eps if the
audience reaction is as much as the newsgroup leads everyone to believe.
That's never been done before, to my knowledge, and perhaps 'KATS will
end up on the same track - we certainly have at least as much fan backup
as "Exo".

 "Sorry for staring..it's just that you looked so much like the Cheshire Cat
  for a minute there, and I was rather hoping bits of you would begin to
  disappear..."