Re: Razor's Edge

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 1995 09:48:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, Matthew Milam wrote:

> I would like to apoligize for confusing you guys on that stupid question
> about lives being changed because of watching this show...

Don't. The difference in outlook makes for discussion - if everyone
thinks the same thing we simply nod silently in agreement.

> I would like to talk about the Swat Kats episode "Razor's Edge".
>
> Did anyone notice that Razor acted more human than most character's on
> cartoons shows? I personally wish they did more of that instead of that
> Darkkat-hired-hands-to-play-hurt subplot.

     You know, everyone who watches the show that I've spoken with from
all age groups agrees with this to some extent, as do almost all of the
creative team responsible. The dissention at H-B originated with people
above the producer, who insisted on making "Creative suggestions" that
limited some of the eps to monster clashes. I haven't seen 'em all yet -
but thanks to some people mailing me tapes I'm catching up. I now have
two favourite character development eps - "Razor's Edge" that Matmilam
noted above, and despite the monster-clash theme running throughout -
"Mutation City" is the other.

     Our own "Doc Konway" is in this one (BTW - how close is the physical
resemblance, Sam?), and it's one of the eps that the Tremblays had a
heavy hand in story and design-wise, and is one of their favourite eps.
The sequence at the beginning with Jake and Chance on the obstacle course
was incredibly well written from a character standpoint, and had
animation to match. Jake was so focused on beating Chance to the finish
line that he gave no weight to Chance's cries for help, assuming they
were some kind of ploy to keep him from winning. Start watching closely
at the sequence where Jake suddenly realizes his pal is indeed in dire
straits, and rescues him - and the scenes following while he resuscitates
Chance. Jake still tries to rationalize Chance's predicament in terms of
the competition, then realizes Chance has an aspect of his character that
isn't bulletproof, and offers to help him out. Chance's reaction is
driven by a combination of pride and denial, as well as embarassment for
revealing any kind of weakness in that kind of "macho" setting.
Unbelievable writing. Check out the body language and the facial
expressions throughout the whole sequence - I have _never_ seen anyting
better, and I like to think I've seen enough other stuff to make that a
valid observation. Chance gets the opportunity to "redeem" himself later
in the ep when he's _forced_ to overcome his weakness in order to save
Razor from drowning - but still avoids any kind of emotional comment on
the situation, responding instead with a series of humourous remarks.

I hope nobody interprets the above as no-life fanboy stuff - this kind of
character-dev is the only thing that keeps me interested in TV at all -
it certainly helps me rack up the phone bill, but doesn't put my
psychiatrist's kids through college or anything.

Andy