Re: Kat stuff

From: Andy Hill <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 22:06:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 2 May 1995, Dana Uehara wrote:

> Perhaps it is time to consider starting a usenet newsgroup along
> the lines of "alt.tv.fan.swatkats" or similar. Of course we would
> not have to eliminate the list server, just have the newgroup to
> enhance discussion.

     I did suggest something similar earlier, but I was dissuaded at that
time because the list was still manageable, and not too many folk
complained about too much mail. That's changed. There are two positives
for a newsgroup. One, people just getting those "on-ramp" programs
usually first look for newsgroups relating to the TV shows etc. that they
are interested in, they won't be too successful looking for
"alt.fan.swatkats". Two, Turner Group monitors the fan groups for
marketing purposes - traffic in such a 'KATS group wouldn't go unnoticed,
and we could write about 'KATS all day long without anyone complaining.
The list should still be maintained, with a common FAQ for both, and
"important" stuff echoed from the newsgroup to the list for people whose
lives don't allow for another newsgroup to read.

     Downside. The multi-group spamming problem is getting worse, and "we
ain't seen nothin' yet" as providers keep selling 'net access as a cure
for cancer. The 'KATS signal to noise ratio may drop a bit in comparison
to the list, but that's why God invented "CTRL K". Personal preference,
"Alt.fan.swatkats" as opposed to "alt.tv.swatkats" - as the 'KAT guys
flight-plan will probably take them multi-media. It will also make life
easier for those people who contribute "anonymously" to my mailbox now
for me to paraphrase - they could simply post it to the newsgroup
themselves. I've already had four "thumbs up" on this, but I'm no USENET
arch-mage, so I have no idea how to go about creating such a beast.

Thoughts, analysis?

Andy