Something of a Scientific Pamplet on Robotization

From: <Sugahhog_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 1996 22:30:46 -0400

>Subj: Re: stuff
Date: 96-05-25 10:41:16 EDT
From: drazen_at_andrews.edu (Dan Drazen)
Sender: owner-sonic_at_bort.mv.net
To: sonic_at_lists.mv.net

Get comfortable fans of Mobius..this is a something of a lengthy but
worthwhile post. :)

> What is the actual scientific porcess for (sp?)robotazation?

>Debatable. Some seem to favor a nanite-based technology while I prefer
to think of it in terms of a biomechanical synthesis. And if I have to
explain any of this further, you may be in over your head ;-).

I've been a subscriber to this list for quite sometime, and a very occasional
poster, and since I don't always have the time to read every message, I was
wondering if the following hypothesis was ever introduced and just slipped by
me in some quick scanning and deletions of unread mail. That said hypothesis
being thus: The scientific process for robotization being based upon neither
nanites or biomechanical synthesis, (unless I'm misinterpreting what is meant
by that) but upon *other dimension energy conversion*. Consider the following
facts that we know from the ABC show (which in my own humble opinion, seem to
offer the most logic that I would take it for the most part to be canon over
the comic for specific points, like UC operating a Chili dog stand. Yeesh.
<G>) : 1) We learned that Uncle Chuck was the inventor of the Robotisizor,
having invented it with the noble goal of using it to help Mobians live
longer. More than likely, this goal was something of a parallel to
"cryogenics" over here, wherin as people grow older and are more susceptable
to disease and frailty, (or even with younger people, infants, children etc
who are unfortunately afflicted) such frailty and disease could be "frozen"
by the conversion, until a cure could be found for such dibilitating ailments
wherein the subject would then be derobotisized and treated. A definate
improvement over such an idea as cryogenics since one isn't "asleep" all that
time.

The problem though, as UC found, was the treatment took away the subject's
free will so that either the subject was either nothing more than a mindless
zombie (unknowing most probably that the "test subjects",-most probably lab
animals of somesort, despite the anthromorphic nature of most beings on
Mobius. The process would have to be tested on creatures with measurable
intelligence-were, as he later discovered from his own first hand experience,
awake and alert but just unable to interact), a "vegetable" of sorts where
the subject was for all measurable respects "dead", or a different type of
mindless zombie yet one that like a person under hypnosis, would do any
instruction that was asked of him or her. As a scientist and compassionate
hedgehog who respects the mind, which is in effect, the *life* of any
sentient creature, to put any subject under such a treatment until a cure can
be found for whatever ailment they have, even for a short time, is an
abomination of an idea to UC and the project was either scrapped or tabled
indefinately until such bugs in the system could be fixed (I know this is all
common knoledge thus far, but there's a point to it which will follow in a
moment. Please bear with me).

Now as to *how* Robotization works, that I believe comes from a critical clue
that we got from the episode "The Void". Fact 1) We know that again, UC is a
scientist and a great inventor. He was the one that invented the power ring
generator for Sonic to use (and which *only* the blue blur can use. I have
developed a working theory on why this is as well, but I don't want to use
this to take *too* long, so I'll cut to the chase. Interested parties about
my musings may e-mail me directly). Now, the Powerstone which is what
actually creates the Power Rings, we know, is very similar in its energy
configuration to that of the Deep Power Stones which caused Robotnik's defeat
in "The Doomsday Project". Therefore, for UC to have discovered how to adapt
this power source (which falls in again with my unsaid working theory there)
for use, and the fact that he created the Robotisizor, one could conclude
that UC is very knoledgable in the workings of wave field energy. Using this
conclusion, I have hypothesized thusly:

1) We know that there are other dimensions than the one Mobius is in, like
the Void, that can be accessed via either science or sorcery. 2) Taking a
look at The Void, we saw that an unfortunate side effect from prolonged
exposure, upon subjecting a person from that unstudied dimension to another
dimension, his or her home dimension or another (King Acorn for ex:, who went
from The Void, back over to Mobius) was the transmutation of living matter
into perhaps an unliving state of matter, or perhaps a living state of
matter, but an unmobile one. (Being that we as well as Sonic and co, do not
know even the slightest bit about the workings of the Void, save that it can
be manipulated through magic, one could not really jump to the conclusion
that were Nagus and King Acorn's transmutation allowed to take place fully,
that their crystalline state would be a dead form of matter. After all, as it
is hypothisized that *silicon* based life forms could exist on other planets,
why not crystalline lifeforms from another dimension? Now, jumping right back
to that idea of silicon based life, seeing that exposure to another dimension
could in effect, "infuse" a subject with the energies inherit in that
dimension, a process that would only be noticeable, or perhaps just more
*quickly* noticable by passage *from* that dimension, why could not the same
be said for the process of the Robotisizor?
What I believe happened, is that UC, in his studies of other wave field
energies that existed in other dimensions (through an again much longer
synopsis of how these events took place sequentially), saw that the energies
in shall we say Dimension R (for Robotization, natch) was able to transmute
all living matter into its silicon and metal equivilant (One could wager a
guess that perhaps silicon based life was the prominent or only life form
present in that dimension, if sentient life was present at all). After all,
matter, living or non, is simply *energy*, and as has been hypothesized by
Gene Roddenbery and others, if a way could be found to turn matter into
energy and back again (Transporter Technology) in Star Trek, then its
entirely plausible that from exposure to another dimension, the energy of
one's body could be infused for "adaptation", and transmuted, so that the
body of the subject would be able to survive in any given medium.
In The Void and Dimension R, this effect would not be redilly noticable as
infusion is enough of an adaptation since the energy of the dimension is all
about the subject. However, *remove* that subject from all that available
energy, (bringing Nagus and Acorn to Mobius) and what energy (perhaps both
the Void and Dimension R energies are *sentient* energies of some sort,) is
inherent in the subject, is either forced to quickly adapt to maintain its
survival by overwhelming and transmutating the living matter it has entered
(sort of like the Vaccum effect in nature. There was no Void energy in Nagus
and Acorn when they entered the dimension, so nature sought to "fill" that
vaccum) and/or it could be that as Nagus suppossed, (since even he knew very
little about The Void) in the Void only his magics kept the transformation in
check, and that outside of "Sanctuary", even with his magic, that Void energy
was powerful enough to run amok and transform them, the Void energy going
from something of a symbiotic nature (since Naugus could control it in The
Void) to a parasitic nature on Mobius where it was too powerful for him.

A very close movie parallel could be seen in either version of "The Fly"
wherin the scientist's DNA was simply "written over". Recent examples in Star
Trek Voyager could be given as well when Tom Paris entered that place (which
perhaps could be seen as another dimension, after all, isn't subspace in a
sense?) beyond Warp 9.999etc and had *his* dna written over as well.
Now, that covers my ideas on Robotization, but getting back to the point a
few paragraphs previous with Uncle Chuck and his scrapping the project since
it took away a subject's free will, there's one more important point to
hypothysize upon. If the subject's free will was taken away, to the point
that the subject would do anything asked of him/her, which is the only
logical conclusion, since that "vegetable" bit UC found out to be untrue as
he was the first one changed, then why is it that only Robotnik is able to
control those Robotisized? Simple (sort of). As we know, Robotnik "stole" the
plans for the Robotisizor. Beyond being in charge of the Military (Again, a
timeline has been set up through the pondering of myself and some friends,
that explains the connection this has with his being a scientist), we know
that Robotnik is a brilliant scientist and inventor. We know that he knew
about other dimensions as well, since he worked with Naugus in studying The
Void before Naugus decided to go through to see what was there firsthand.
Now, knowing a great deal about Robotics, and electronic pathways, ie:
artificial intelligence shown in his Swat Bots and other bots, then what I
believe he did was after studying the Robotisizor, all that he saw he had to
do was to develop a program which as the subject was robotisized, would
program one simple order into the subject's now electronic pathway laid
"brain". That order being:, "Obey only him and Snivley", (though *him* first
and foremost should Snively try a coup) Again, sort of like hypnotizing a
person and putting a "conditioned reflex" into them, one that they could not
resist no matter what. The rest of the orders as they came up, "Freedom
Fighters are the enemy, No 1 Priority Hedgehog" and such, would be a simple
matter to "install" since having told them to "obey" his every whim, all he
would have to do is broadcast his desire, ie: Attack FF on sight" or whoever,
even if they were members of the subjects own family, and that conditioned
reflex would automatically kick in, storing that dictum for future
"automatic" use, thus making the subject helpless to his or her own actions,
and those non robotisized, unable to reach them. As the FF don't know how
this program works, they have no feasible way of reaching the minds of those
robotisized to stop them or help them. I know that Uncle Chuck is the
veritable "hypothysis hole big enough to drive a mack truck through <G>",
 being that he was able to overcome his "programming", both losing his free
will, and the orders that Robotnik imposed upon him, but again, I have
reasoned that out logically as well. However, that explanation is a slightly
lengthy one, involving The powerstone, (since powerrings were used to restore
his memory, something which has only worked with UC since the FF have never
used this trick on any other poor robotisized soul) so as this explanation
has already gone on for a good length of time, I'll just leave the option
open that those who are interested can e-mail me, or, if enough parties are
interested, I'll post the explanation here.

> Does Nicole have a solid-hologram generated body, or is that fanfic?

Not fanfic; in several eps, Nicole has generated holo images.

Yes, but those have always been transparencies, and never of living things.
Well to be more precise, never of *life* size living things that could be
mistaken for "real" since she did project Sally and Bunnie being captured by
Naugus in the ep "The Void". Not to dictate what is and isn't in Nicole's
ability to anyone who writes, but in my opinion, if it were, then wouldn't
she have used that trick by now on the Swat Bots to distract them, perhaps
disable them, and to interact with the FF before now? Nicole's solid-hologram
generated body, to my knoledge, was first used in fanfic by a Sonic writer by
the name of Prin Sal1 who used to be on America On Line, unless she first saw
that adaptation of Nicole from another writer and used it for her own
writings that I was unaware of. My own belief is that seeing the solid
hologram "doctor" on Star Trek Voyager, she incorporated that holo technology
into Nicole. After all, solid holos need magnetic wave field generators, and
I don't think that Nicole has any of those built into her either or again,
she would have told Sally about them by now for her practical usage.

> This next question dosnt have anything to do with my writing fanfic, Im
just
> curious..
> Am I missing something from the plot line? I dont understand the point of
> having nothing but power plants and factories and no life on a planet.
> Wheres the fun in haveing nothing but robot slaves? One possable answere is
> that Robotnik is compleatly insain.
>
> Somebody have an asnwere to this?
>

>You hear about the power plants and factories because they're the
preferred targets for the freedom fighters to hit. They don't go in for
frontal assaults, preferring a strategy of hit-and-run.

>Alternative answer: you hear about the power plants and factories because
a) Robotnik relies on them to further his conquest of Mobius; b) the
pollution generated by same isn't doing Mobius any good. As for
Robotnik's insanity -- let's just say that, like a lot of dictators, he
has trouble thinking things through.

Not to mention the fact that as it has been said, not all that much of Mobius
has been charted to our knoledge, for which all that tech which Robotnik is
building up, could be used to spread his dominion over the planet as was just
said above. Another feasible option is that as Robotnik does have the ability
for space travel it could be reasoned, as he has the tech to launch objects
into space or at the least low orbit (as we saw with the "Sky Spy" in season
one), then its conceivable that Robotnik has plans to go conquer other
habitable planets to add to his dominion, once his factories have created the
necessary amount of technology and machinery needed. Is anyone out there
knoledable with Superman canon and the stories of "Warword"? (Think Death
Star for a close parallel if you don't.) If you do, then you can see what I'm
driving at as a possibility. Or it could be that he *is* just plain crackers.
::shrug:: That's all for now! (This post has been brought to you by the
friends of Uncle Chuck, Rotor, Gadget Hackwrench (Rescue Rangers) and other
like minded furries who understand, enjoy and use long, convoluted
explanations, or in the words of Foghorn Leghorn, "Longheaded Gobbledegoop."
<G> (Say Mr Drazen and Castiglia (Dan and Paul), any chance of finding an
opening at Archie Comics for a person with all this imagination, love of
Mobius, and few places to put it? )