Re: HEY!

From: Fred Michael Sloniker <lazuli_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 11:22:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Doug LoConti wrote:

> on the following link on rat's page:
>
> http://rat.org/pub/sonic/images/other/sonami_g.jpg
>
> THere is an image, mostly of Sonic and Tails. It looks Japaneese.
> What is this? How can I get ahold of this new cartoon? And MOST
> IMPORTANTLY, is it english dubbed?!? :)

To quote from the JPG itself (a scan from a magazine by the look of it):

-Sonic has made his Japanese animated debut, to remind us once again how
-much American cartoons suck. The U.S. Sonic Saturday morning cartoon is
-long gone (I hope),

[Editorial comment: the opinions of this reviewer do not necessarily
reflect the views of the management of this email address.]

-but it would definitely still be around today if it was as good as its
-Japanese counterpart. The Japanese Sonic is a rental-only OVA, (the
-first of hopefully many)

[For those of you not up on anime terminology, OVA = Original Video
Animation, i.e. something released directly to video instead of TV or a
theater.]

-so the animation is much cleaner than you could ever expect from a TV
-show, but the characters' on-screen presence is what makes this Sonic so
-cool. It's like playing the game, but in anime form. Or something.

-Since it's only 27 minutes (part 1 of...?), there's not too much to say
-about Sonic. Sonic and Tails are out to save the president, who's been
-kidnapped by arch-villain Dr. Eggman (Robotnik in the US version). So,
-they run off to Eggworld, fight some minor enemies, fight a boss, meet
-Knuckles, and then Volume 1's over. It doesn't sound like much, but it's
-a hell of a trip, and the pace is as fast as Sonic himself. Though Sonic
-sounds a bit gruff, the voice actors are pretty cool, and the new
-character, Sarah (the president's daughter), is a nice addition to the
-cast.

-Slim though the possibility is, Sega might one day bring the series here,
-but until then, enjoy some shots of what a video game-based cartoon
-should be..."

BTW, the JPG is very good. Anyone know which magazine it's from?

                                ---Fred M. Sloniker, stressed undergrad
                                   L. Lazuli R'kamos, FurryMUCKer
                                   lazuli_at_u.washington.edu

fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord truth fnord fnord fnord