Re: interview with Yuji Naka

From: Knuck's/Kulock <eggleton_at_iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:32:37 -0400 (EDT)

At 10:18 AM 4/16/96 -0400, you wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Apr 1996 RoBUTTnik_at_AOL.COM wrote:

>> SV: What were some of the things you thought about when you first created the
>> sonic character?
>>
>> NAKA: At first we used a character that looked like a rabbit with ears that
>> could extend and pick up objects. As the game got faster and faster, we
>> needed to come up with a special characteristic to give our character some
>> power over his enemies. I rembered a character I had thought about years ago
>> who could roll himself into a ball and slam into enemies. Hedgehogs can roll
>> themselfs into a ball, so we decided to go from a rabbit to a hedgehog.
>
>Jeez, talk about the "long and short" of it. There were over 200
>original illustrations by the programmers and artists at Sega Enterprises
>(Japan). After about one month, they managed to narrow the selection
>down to four individual characters:
>
>A wolf wearing a stars and stripes t-shirt (he looked very Sonic-esque)
>A bullbog wearing a "cowboy" outfit
>A roundish, egg-shaped human wearing loud hawaiian style clothes and
> carrying an airboard
>And well, guess!
>
>Its kinda obvious who made it in the final decision, but its interesting
>to see how Eggman was originally intended to be the hero. I still think
>that would have been odd, running around the screen with some large, round
>guy.

I think rather they would have slowed it down a bit for Eggman as the
hero..but it would make an interesting spin attack..

MINDLESS BLATHER: I'd be intersting if they'd revive Sonic's 1 &2 (at least)
as 'Director's Cuts', with the hidden palace intact, and the option to play
as Eggman(da hero)(or heck, the wolf would be kewl..I could see him with
Sally..)
>> Sonic 2 is bigger, faster, more challenging, and more fun then the
>> original. It has more levels, with a secret zone that you'll have to work
>> hard to find, a new bonus rounds that youll have to get through to get the
>> Chaos Emeralds.
>
>Oh, that secret zone. Formerly called "Hidden Palace". Damn, they hid
>it so well it wasn't even in the final program.

It was in a slight way..check out #10 in the sound test..not fast enough to
get all out, I s'pose..

>> Well hope you enjoyed.
>>
>> Gotta Speed Keed
>>
>> Sth JJ1 Sal+++! Son++ Tal++t Wes++^ P+ $++++ E27 A17 GM
>

>Kiken signing off.
>ASOBIWA...OWARIDA!
>Sayonara.
>
>This message from the Baltimore Ronin,
>homepage at:
>http://www.gl.umbc.edu/~cmugg1
>Ikuze!
>
> /---/ |\ /\ "To live a life of power,
> / / | \ / \ you must have faith in what you
> / / | / / \ believe, even if others tell you
> ------- |/ /------\ you are wrong;
> / __ |\ __|__ The first step to living a life of
> / | | | \ | | | power is to find courage, you must
> / | _| | / |__|__| be prepared to reach beyond the
>/ |_____| |/ | boundaries of time itself;
> | / \ And to do that, all you need is the
> will to take that very first step."
>
> Sonic