sonic chat?

From: Ratman <rat_at_bort.mv.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 17:44:55 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Kyle M Church wrote:

> At 21:13 15/03/96 -0500, you wrote:
> > I think if we want to dicuess something(s) we should choose a chat
> >room to go to for faster disscuesions. I always go to the Sega room (1) but
> >thats for everone to discuess. Heck maybe even make a Sonic chat room!
> >
> How do I get to chat room's (I have Netscape chat but it only gives me five
> rooms.

Hmm.. New to the net, are we?
Netscape chat is just a LAME interface to IRC. Since Netscape chat is
only out for Windows, i'd suggest getting mirc.

I would think IRC is the best way to go for unmoderated public chat. Though
less powerful than MUCKs, it would be easier for most people to get into.

This is something that needs someone to manage this, as in setting up a time
that we can meet, picking the channel name, and generally organizing the
whole thing. And I sure as heck don't have time. But I do want to see it
happen. So I've got all the resources, except time. :-(

But I can help anyone who wants to manage this.

I could setup:

- an IRC bot to manage it (trust me, these are awesome)
- a mailing list just for this, that people can use to coordinate with
  each other about when to meet
- a web page about the channel people can get for information, like:
--- who is currently in the channel (chat room)
--- how to get into IRC
--- information about people who show up regularly.

If interested, mail me directly at rat_at_rat.org