Anti-spam (was: Re: Sonic booklist (long) (fwd))

From: Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) -- Team OS/2 <"Erich>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 1995 15:05:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 23 Jul 1995, Dan Drazen wrote:

> Looks like I've got my work cut out for me, incorporating these titles
> in the FAQ File.
>
> Hats off to your hard work, Erich!

I'm not the one who compiled the book list. I did forward the message to
the list which made it look like my post. I think I've got pine
configured properly so that I can now forward messages to the list
without them looking like my posts. I'll try next time I need to forward
a post. (Should the need not arise for some time, I will use a test
message. I just don't like testing my software on the list.) I also
filed the list in the text directory at the ftp site.

I have had to forward messages from several subscribers this month.
Here's why. Early this month, we (and many other mailing lists) got hit
by a spammer advertising personal ads for some lady in the former USSR.
The next day, the Sonic list implemented a new policy that blocks posts
from nonsubscribers. If your posting address and subscription don't
match, your mail will bounce to me for approval instead of going out to
the list. This policy change has already stopped three more spams that
would have hit the Sonic list (the same spammer, too).

Let the record show that the book list was written by Alessandro Sanasi.

I will be incorporating the book list into the next merchandise list,
along with the Sonic .5 comic, and a few more listings.

Erich Schulman (KTN4CA) [Team OS/2] A net.freedom-fighter for Mobius!
"Freedom Fighters are #1!" -- Sonic the Hedgehog
A! JW2 WAR++ PI0>+ BR+i SL++++i SK+++ RI0>++/++^ RU+
GDF0>+ BU++ MI- MM- KK-- Do $++ E59 Ee5 TRita Ay68 M
Mail: acme_at_use.usit.net | WWW: http://nyx10.cs.du.edu:8001/~eschulma