Re: Forthcoming Sonic story s...

From: Robin Hood <gt6005a_at_prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 23:49:57 -0500 (EST)

> > >[NOP!]...Mobius is the 'Earth' of another universe (similar,
> > >but not completely parallel)...
> > The universe is big. When you look into the sky at night and see those
> > millions (billions?) of stars, those are only in our galaxy. Keep in mind
> > that there are millions (billions?) of other galaxies. This means that there
> > are anywhere from 1000000000000 to 1000000000000000000 stars in our univese.
> > And since each star could have just about any number of planets orbiting it
> > (only a few cabable of sustaining life I would think), the chances that we,
> > on Earth, are the only intelligent life form in the entire universe are
> > (rounded up to the nearest hundred-quintillionth decimal place) about 0.
> > However, Mobius could very well be somewhere else.
> The universe is indeed, a big place. Here's a very logical argument you
> can use to prove that we are not alone in the universe.
> Set up a simple program that will pick a number between one and two (heads
> or tails). On every planet in the universe, the bottom line is that it
> has life or it doesn't. Set the program to choose the one or two about
> 10000000000000000000000 times, or any large number like that and then
> have it tell you how many times it came up one and how many times it came
> up two. The first time it comes up one is okay, that would represent the
> planet Earth.
> Be honest, how many people think that you could run this program and have
> it come up one only once. The odds of that happening are larger than a
> human can imagine. there's life out there somewhere . . .

All true, and I for one believe that we are not alone in this universe.
(Tho' I don't think the odds are QUITE 50/50 about life existing on
any given planet. Here in our solar system alone the odds are 8 to 1.)

But what makes me believe that Mobius is part of another universe primarily
the fact that pure magic (the Time Stones, the Chaos Emeralds) exists.
At the same time, however, I like to believe that the universe that Mobius
exists in is parallel in many aspects to our own, and that Mobius is
that universe's Earth. Mobius and Earth share many of the same animal
and plant species (albeit at different points of evolution), they have
chili dogs :-), and, assuming that we're not hearing translations, even use
the same languages.

Another thing that makes me dismiss the idea of a future Earth is the
HUGE improbability that many species on Earth could evolve from where they
are now into sentient beings in just under 2000 years, nuclear accident
mutations or not. So far it's taken humans 2.5 million years!

And now for something completely tasteless...

I wonder if Sonic has ever eaten any of his friends when he had chili
dogs. Is that why we don't see Porker Lewis in the Archie comics?
<<<shudder>>>

later---Kris

--
*******Robin Hood (Kris Kelley) gt6005a_at_prism.gatech.edu*****************
* fnord-42-froinlaven-cowabunga-the truth is out there-get out-spin dash *