Re: Next Sonic game...

From: Fred Sloniker <lazuli_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 17:30:16 -0800 (PST)

On 23 Feb 1995, Alessandro Sanasi wrote:

> Wouldn't Tails look a bit 'alone' in a game without Sonic?

No more so than Sonic does if you're playing S&K without S3 'locked on'.
Besides which, we never said Sonic couldn't do cameos. Maybe Robotnik
sets up a 'speed trap' across a section of canyon; Sonic gets bagged, but
Tails lags behind and escapes the trap. Now the Happy Fun Fox has to
rescue Sonic before Robotnik can roboticize the speedy hedgehog...

> To my opinion it would be much more fun if you just could select Tails
> as the leading character and Sonic as his sidekick.

I think they should have had this in S2/3, myself. Sonic 4 should
*definitely* allow free mixing and matching of all playable characters
(to the extent the plot allows), and maybe even midgame swaps (Sonic has
to decide at one point whether he'd rather keep Tails with him or set out
with the nosy echidna...)

> But if Tails really gets his own game he should have a companion so he
> doesn't have to face Robotnik all on his own.

How about a bluebird, like the ones that fly around him when he's Super?
It wouldn't bash bad guys like Tails does for Sonic, but it could point
out secret routes and hidden powerups, and could also do cute stuff when
Tails idles or reaches the end of an Act (like perching on Tails' ear, or
the end-of-Act post) or when a boss shows up (pecking futilely on
Robotnik's chromedome). Of course, once Tails goes Super, it's a whole
'nother story. (:3 (Evil nasty wicked bad bluebird, to borrow a sig...)

                                ---Fred M. Sloniker, stressed undergrad
                                   L. Lazuli R'kamos, FurryMUCKer
                                   lazuli_at_u.washington.edu

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more blissful people?