Re: Sally's Jacket + Species (?)

From: Sonic the Hedgehog <vboao0f2_at_huey.csun.edu>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 1995 21:34:34 +0800 (PST)

On Tue, 7 Feb 1995, Shawn Wolski wrote:

> Hi, fellow Sonic fans!
>
> I'd have to agree with Jeff ( jpegnato_at_vt.edu) about the introduction
> of Sally's jacket (or is it a vest) in the 2nd year of showing. It hardly
> even covers her decently (if that is what the producers ultimately
> wanted), and she was never nude as in "offensively" nude. Why
> bother with it?
        The thing is, the times have changed and the feminism of cartoons
have generally caused the introduction of politically correct clothes on
cartoon characters. Nobody thought it would be offensive to draw a nude
Sally which wears just boots in the original esposides in the first season
run. I suppose someone whined and the people immediately revamped Sally's
image. Who knows, I could ask the people who work behind the scenes at
DIC, as I have access to the Sonic Art Team myself.

> unmistakably a fox, Bunny is a rabbit, Rotor is a walrus, etc. Sally
> to me has been somewhat of a mistery as to what species she is.
> According to Jeff, she's a vixen (?) I used to think that Sally was more
> of the deer persuasion, but after seeing that her father had a tail
> (though it didn't seem to fit the general fox tail, but hey, this is the car-
> toon universe), I'm not so sure. If she is a fox, where's her tail? All
> I see is a small stub of fur on her rump. Does it grow in when she
> comes of age (becomes 18 years old), or was there an accident in
> the past where the tail was lost? If we go on the assumption that
        In a issue of Sonic the Hedgehog comic book, the editor replied to
a similar question asked by Jeff and the others -- the answer from the
editor was that Sally is a fox, if I remember correctly. But I can
backtrack and check on that fact.

> she is a fox, that may explain why Tails calls her "Aunt Sally" all the
> time, though this could be more the result of a "status nickname",
> since Tails lost his family sometime after the coup. The title could
> come from years of Sally taking care of Tails after his family was
> lost. Then again, anything is possible.
        According to the editor of Sonic The Hedgehog comic books, Tails
got his second tail from Antione which explains why Antione has no tail.
And Tails family was captured by Robotnik during an raid. Sally was hence
assigned to care for Tails and become Tails' aunt. This is an theory...
anybody come up with a better theory for Tails' existance with Sally.

                                                Sonic The Hedgehog
                                        World's Largest Sonic Art Archives
                                                OWNER/CURATOR/COLLECTOR
                                                Bryant Melesko
**** LOOK OUT FOR MY WWW PAGE coming soon to you on the internet! ****
**** WWW page address will be announced as soon as it comes on line!**

40 megs of Artwork from the cartoon and more will be soon made available
on the ftp site as soon as I have access to Macs again.
I am currently in the process of adding more artwork to the archives, to
bring my archives up to date. Any pictures of the sort would be
appreciated, as I am collecting pictures for the ftp site as well as for
archiving purposes.