Re: Absence of supporting castpics...

From: chance <chance_at_unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 07:22:37 -0700

Edo wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Andy Hill wrote:
>>Yeah. Pretty much. The "Style Guide" has Mac and Molly Mange/The Metallikats,
>>The Ghost Pilot, MadKat (both of which were supposed to be recurring villains),
>
>Are those two villains (The Ghost Pilot and MadKat) supposed to appear more
>than 3 episodes?

Mmmm....hard to say, but they intended to feature at least "Ghost Pilot" fairly
prominently in their marketing schemes, so I'd guess that he'd have more mileage
than three eps had they gone to 65 as planned.

>ACK! Mrs. Exposition?

Ummm...yeah, sorry. "Mrs.Exposition" refers to an annoying shortcut taken by
writers called "expository" whereby a character is actually telling you the plot, or
imparting some information to the audience *directly* to make up for the shortcomings
of the script. In the case of poor Dr. Abi above, the audience had to be told that
the dig they were working on was the "Katchu Picchu dig" (setting up the later
appearance of KP himself), and the only way to really do this was to have Dr. Abi
spout it off, or have some scene included with a sign labelling the dig, in the hopes that
the audience would catch it. A sign can be missed, but such a wordy chunk of dialogue
wouldn't even escape a five-year-old. Another example of this tacky writer's shortcut
comes from "Destructive Nature", where two incidental characters appear in a scene
at the rocket center and deliver the line "there's enough freeze-juice there to freeze
an entire city block" (or similar). The audience sees the TK make off with the
payload, but can't be economically made aware of the potential that such a payload
represents without being told *directly* by one of the characters. "Exposition"
at its finest.

Expository writing such as described above is *heavily* frowned upon by
screenwriters everywhere, but is often a necessary evil in kid-targetted
:22 minute epics where there isn't an awful lot of room to take 'the long way
around'.

>No, that is not what I mean (she was great in "Caverns of Horror" BTW).
>Here is a question for you. If she ask you to take her out to most
>expensive restaurant in MegaKat on a date, will you dare say no? <g>

Personally, I think Felina would frown upon such establishments as all
presentation and no presented. She'd be more likely to hit the 'no-nonsense'
type eating establishements, and would probably be as uncomfortable in a
fancy evening gown as I am in a tuxedo (or *anything* with a tie for that matter).

I picture Felina to be a practical Kat, with little time for the puffery and effrontery
that usually accompanies the "beautiful people" and their favourite haunts in
social-butterfly-dom. She'd sooner accompany you to the firing range than
a Fancy Dress Ball (My kinda Kat!), but is still probably smarter than every
Megakat City socialite added together.