Abi- Dull? No Way!

From: Paul Kemner <pkemner_at_bright.net>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 00:07:12 -0400 (EDT)

I said (defending Ann's honor)
> You might as well call Abi a dull musty academic! (but if you do, you'll
probably >face *dire* consequences!)
Dr. Jake said:
> <gggrrrrrrr . . .>
> Where's my bokon (practice sword)?
Hey! Put that thing away! Note that *I* didn't say she was dull! It has been
one of the fun dramatic ploys in F&SF, though. Someone who has a dull job
cataloging pot-shards suddenly gets propelled to the forefront of danger &
excitement. cf. Indy Jones, though I'd trace it back at least to
H.P.Lovecraft (ai! Hastur the Unspeakable, He Who is Not to be Named!)
Hmmmmm, that gives me an idea! How about the island of R'lyeh rising from
the depths of the ocean. Abi just *has* to get an expedition out there,
mistakenly thinking that it's the lost city of KatLantis! (I sense a
dynamite collaboration here, as soon as both our story buffers are less full!)
Paul Kemner pkemner_at_bright.net