Re: Viper's Eco concern?

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 13:43:23 -0500

At 06:59 PM 5/11/96 -0400, you wrote:
>At 12:59 PM 5/11/96 -0500, Kevin Knoles wrote:
>>... before he became Dr. Viper, Elrod Purvis was a money grubbing
>>anti-environmentalist, he didn't care a bit about the appilcation of the

>I'd probably take a more romantic view. All of Elrod's money-grubbing
>qualities were burned away (death & mutagens can do that to ya, I guess.)
>Dr. V. may be missing a soul (ref to "s o u l" being the letters lost in the
>Elrod Purvis to Dr Viper transition), but maybe his soul was rotten! So now
>he's a heroic environmentalist! With MKCity being on the ocean, apparently
>at the end of a river (thus the bridges), the city is built smack-dab on the
>delta and estuary- prime wetlands. So let's feel a bit sorry for Dr V. when
>his schemes are foiled.

        Got back on-line for just a few hours this afternoon.

        I hadn't really looked at it from that perspective before, and I
guess it does work out that Viper is an environmentalist, albeit and extreme
one, presented in a negative, but perhaps sympathetic light. But that's
been stated thus far. Now we have to consider just *what* that says about
environmentalists. Are they all being bashed, or is this a cautionary tale
of a cause taken too far? If the latter is true, then why are we not really
presented with a moderate environmentalist in the stories, as appears to be
the case for fiction of that type? Maybe this is just more of SWAT Kats
refusal to be a PC show?

>Hello? Hello? Well, Kevin's probably off line by now. What a shame. I guess
>I'll have to send the above by messenger cat.

        No need to bother if that was all you were planning on writing. As
for any other letters, bring 'em on!

>On the origin/what the heck are creeplings- I wonder if the creeplings are
>mutated or possibly just *visible* Greeblings? In this world, Greeblings

        I *really* doubt creeplings have anything to do with Greeblings
(which I had never heard of until you mentioned them.) in anything other
than name. Then again, if that's where the name came from, then I guess
it's possible.