Cancelation idea from SF Dominion

From: Paul Kemner <pkemner_at_bright.net>
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 21:37:12 -0400 (EDT)

Here's an interesting exchange from the SF Dominion Board:
(I've separated the posts with equals signs)
An alternative for cancelation ?!?!
Posted on 5/6/96 by Neko

The 'merchandise' reason sounds like a weak excuse to just about everybody.
The 'too violent' reason hasn't run true, either, though maybe it's closer
to the mark.

I was watching 'Destructive Nature', in which Dr. Viper infests the new
Megakat office towers with his creatures. He catches Callie prowling around
the building, and he relates to her his plans for turning the city back
into a swamp. 'It will be ssssssooo beautiful!' he enthuses 'No more ugly
ssssteel and plasssstic, just my beautiful sssswamp!', or something to that
effect. His eyes brim over with tears as he anticipates the completion
of his work.

Hello? Does this mean that Dr. V. is an environmentalist kat (an extreme
one, admittedly)? He lives in the swamp, in harmony with nature. Maybe his
mutations are needed to help the wetlands-life survive and triumph against
the bad kat technology.

Could someone have brought the Dr. V. episodes to Ted's attention? How
would this sit with the same guy that came up with the Planeteers?
Hmm...Dr. Viper as an eco-extremist?
Posted on 5/7/96 by Kevin_K

Another excellent point Neko, I hadn't really considered that Viper
might be considered an eco-extremist, or eco-terrorist if you will. That
idea doesn't sit too comfortably with Ted's PR about environmentalism
either (As evidenced by Captain Planet). Makes me wonder what
other agendas the villians may have.
Exhibit "B"- Scene from Blowup
Posted on 5/7/96 by Neko

For further evidence, I present exhibit 'B' from the unused script
"Blowup" by Lance Falk (MegaThanx to the rat.org Kats bulletin board- where you
can read the entire script!)
Razor HITS a graphic on his console, reading: PIRANHA MISSILES.
                    RAZOR
          Two down, one to go...Piranha missiles away!
WIDE ON TURBOKAT AND SEQUOIA
Two teeth-snapping PIRANHA MISSILES (from show 4) LAUNCH from the jet,
right into the mouth of the Sequoia. The Turbokat PULLS UP at the last minute
to avoid slamming into the tree!
ANGLE ON TURBOKAT OTS VIPER
WHOOSH! The Turbokat's belly ROARS up, mere feet from Viper. A BLAST
of (non-flaming) jetwash KNOCKS the villain off his feet!
WIDE ON SEQUOIA
It does a frantic dance, pounding at itself with its massive arms in an attempt
to get at the Piranhas within. (Please play it _serious_, not a comedic antic.
This monster is being eaten from within!)
                    SEQUOIA (monstrous screams)
*VERY* WIDE ON SEQUOIA
The Turbokat banks around it at a safe distance. The tree begins to
collapse in
itself, then simply EXPLODES in a puff of wood debris and sawdust. (We're too
far away to see Viper.)
A SEQUOIA? Dr. Viper has a really big 1,000 year-old tree helping him, and
those nasssssty Ssssswat Katsssss explode it with piranha missiles?

D'ya think I'm onto something here?