Re: SWAT Kats soundtrack CD and casette

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 14:43:58 -0500 (CDT)

> Well, not to diss what is essentially a good idea, but after you use up the
> first and second season themes and some of the incidental music fleshed
> out to instrumental pieces, what then? Callie singing? It just seems as
> though you'd have about 12 minutes of material, then 6 tracks of "Ted's
> Best Business Decisions" (you guessed it: "silence").

    12 minutes? Are you certain? Did you actually go through the eps, count
the number of songs and the running time of each to come up with that figure?
I haven't so I can't be certain, but it sure seems like more than *12*minutes*
were heard on the series. Let's see, for starters there's the 1st season
opening and 2nd season openings, 2 minutes, the versions heard during the
credits, another minute, and off the top of my head I can recall maybe a half a
dozen bits of BGM, each of which must run about 2 or 3 minutes, and this is my
gawsh awful memory we're talking about. I don't know what the total length of
all the music is, but I'd guess over half and hour at least. Even if I'm
mistaken and it's only something like 20 minutes, then releasing a soundtrack
is still a good idea because there are soundtracks that brief for 40 some minute
anime OAVs. And then there's the possibility that what we hear on the series
is just *some* of the total quantity of music made. From my experience,
selections are only heard in part, not whole, or only short versions are heard,
and some selections are never once cut into the final mix. Like I said
earlier, there's a 146 minute Robotech soundtrack out, and that's a series that
seem to have a lot of repetitive music. I'll make a crude and horribly
inaccurate analagy; With 146 minutes for 85 episodes, that works out to 40
minutes for SWAT Kats' 23 episodes. Given the effort put into SWAT Kats music,
I doubt there are only 12 minutes, and I'd venture to guess it has more music
per episode than many series, save those such as Animaniacs and Tiny Toon
Adventures which had original scoring for each ep.

  |\ __ /| Kevin L. Knoles klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu |\ __ /|
  | | | |
   \ / Check out SWAT Kats on the Web: \ /
     \/ http://rat.org/kats \/