Re: NOTAR

From: Ed Rudnicki <erudnick_at_pica.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 2 May 96 13:33:50 EDT

>>Strictly speaking it's now McD-D, and not Hughes any more, since the
>>former swallowed up the latter. The OH-6 Cayuse is an H500, now
>>MD500, but the NOTAR is on the evolved MD530 airframe.
>
>Yep, but all the Hollywood types here put 'em all in the same nutshell with
>the rather broad comment:
>
>"Hell..they all look the same with heavily armed Swat guys standin' on the skids!"
>
>Which is why you see so many Twin Hueys in early 'Nam pictures. Time Tunnel
>in action.

More like they think nobody notices :) Like the pinhead reporters
referring to the 122mm BM-21 rockets being fired by Hezbollah as
"Katyushas".

>>The Enforcer choppers are undoubtedly simplified for animation
>>purposes, a reasonable shortcut IMHO.
>
>Some of those katchoppers remind me a bit of the "Screamin' Mimi"
>Sikorsky piston-engined things from the late fifties-early sixties. I think
>it's the general shape of the nose rather than anything more specific.

You thought so too, eh? They really fit better stylistically in the
MKC world, with its Fiftyish cars. Makes the "modern" TurboKat stand
out that much more.

>(Man, we just sold all our OH-58 Kiowas to the same folks that bought all our
> old CH-47's: The Netherlands!)

Yeah, but they're buying new AH-64s too, which P.O.ed the French and
Germans to no end :)

Ed