Another anime parallel

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 17:08:42 -0500 (CDT)

> animation was good, but he still thought the storyline was aimed at kiddies.
> (admittedly I didn't have time to show him a full ep.)... He claimed that

    If he didn't see a full ep, how could he judge the storyline? Think about
all the clips from anime that might lead one to conclude the program as a whole
was aimed at kiddies. He sounds a little too bias and should try to take a
look at the big picture.

    SWAT Kats as it stands "works" best in about the same age group ranges or
higher than Ronin Warriors, Robotech, Sailor Moon, Drogon Ball, Starblazers and
I guess Teknoman (Haven't seen it so I can't be certain.), to name a few
prominent anime from American TV. It sounds as if your friend was kind of
picking and choosing examples to fit his argument.

> and "Oh My Goddess" - PG and U respectively. Upon further arguing, we worked
> out why anime seems to be different (apart from the obvious) - It is not
> written to fit a certain rating. I assume that UK/US studios deliberately
> think "This needs a U", and then alter the script, animation, ect. to suit.
> With anime, this doesn't happen, and even if it does get a U certificate, it'
> usually just coincidence. I suspect that studios deliberately don't push thei
> luck with the ratings system, just in case they get the wrong rating.

    Exactly. Though much talk about anime being "better" than US/UK
animation sometimes gets a little carried away by the fanatics, there is a
basic core of truth to it. One of the reasons is that the creators of anime
set out to create the program with little regard for what might later be dumbed
down or edited. They're given such a wide expanse of creator control that it's
really not any wonder that so many TV anime are so good. Isn't it ironic
that in the US and UK the regulations intended to "protect" children by
censoring and kiddifying the content of animation really only serve to
lessen the product? SWAT Kats is similar to anime in that having apearred to
escaped the wrath of BS&P many a time and the writers choosing to not reduce it
to simplemindedness, it works on the same level. I only wish there were more
shows done as well.

> Er... Did anyone actually read this far?

    I sure did, a few times.

> Ben Carter

  |\ __ /| Kevin L. Knoles klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu |\ __ /|
  | | | |
   \ / Check out SWAT Kats on the Web: \ /
     \/ http://rat.org/kats \/