Re: Can you memorize an ep?

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:55:53 -0500 (CDT)

> Can anyone here memorize almost a whole ep? Here goes my try. "Cry Turmoil"

    [Deleted]

    You really know that ep well, A.J.

    I'm ashamed to admit that I can only quote the lines while I'm watching,
if even then. A few more years and a few hundred more viewings, and I'll know
'em by heart.

> Well, I have to go. I'll finish it later and type up a whole text file.

    Cool, I was wondering if anyone was planning on doing this. Believe me,
I'd love to, but my situation here prevents me. Mind if I throw out a few
nitpicky pointers for the transcription? Sorry if this gets overly
complicated, just ignore what you don't like and listen to what suits you.

    Make careful note of the stresses, pauses, and inflections in the
characters' voices and communicate them with surrounding asterisks or
underscores, and ellipsis. When there is a sizable length between statements
made by the same character, restate the speaker's name. For instsance, if
T-Bone said something, then there was a dialog free action scene, and he said
something else, a straight, non-descriptive transcription would read like this:

    T-Bone: Dialog 1

    T-Bone: Dialog 2

    With the action occuring undescribed after Dialog 1, and before Dialog 2.

    A more descriptive transcription is a good idea, but that brings about the
question of what level of description is to be given - Should a timeline be
included, the camera angle and shot be described, and in what detail is the
action to be described as? I'd say it's best to avoid the problem for now by
just getting the dialog and nothing more. Sure, for someone who has't seen
the ep, it'd be a bit confusing, but I take it this is being done more for the
matter of record, not as a replacement for the episode (Which is best enjoyed
viewed, not read.) When the question of how the description *is* to be
tackeled, I'd say an emulation of the scripts already copied is a good idea.

    Oh, one more thing, The closed captioning (which I think is only on the
videos?), from what little I've seen of it, is not always perfect. Whenever
there is a difference between the CC and the actual dialog, a note should be
made like this:

    Speaker: Actual Dialog

    CC: CC Dialog

    That's all I can think of for now. I know that there have been several
transcriptions of TV series and films out there on the web, particularly anime,
and more detailed descriptions of how they were done has probably been given
somewhere, so if you're looking for more ideas, a little web surfing might
help.

> A.J. Freda If you don't know what SWAT Kats is, please

  |\ __ /| Kevin L. Knoles klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu |\ __ /|
  | | | |
   \ / Check out SWAT Kats on the Web: \ /
     \/ http://rat.org/kats \/