Re: Tan Fur

From: Kevin L. Knoles <klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:20:15 -0500 (CDT)

> Since they have fur they shouldn't tan. What cats _do_ is bask in the sun
> just to feel good. Kats would probably do the same thing.
>
> / Michael J. Rider / :o o:

    Human hair can bleach if it's in the sun a lot , so maybe fur would do
something similar? Granted, it woudn't be tanning, quite the contrary, but
there would be *some* type of color change.

    You know, now that I think about it, real cats can probably tan, and by
that I mean their skin, not fur. I've noticed that one of my cats has a lot
of pink skin visible on his belly, even though he's a long hair. I bet if he
were to lay out and douse his belly with lots of UV, the skin would tan, in his
case turn gray since that's the color of his non-pink and non-white skin. Some
of my other cats with shorter but thicker fur might not. Are we the first to
speculate about furry tanning?

  |\ __ /| Kevin L. Knoles klknole_at_rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu |\ __ /|
  | | | |
   \ / Check out SWAT Kats on the Web: \ /
     \/ http://rat.org/kats \/